Discuss Good practice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Conductors fixed in screw terminals shouldn't be tinned.

I have been wrapping tails for years it prevents the conductors shifting. This is a 35mm bond I recently did, wrapped and you can see there is no shift and that is as tight as it goes.View attachment 55570

That's a nice job, I would have used a ring crimp if possible.
mainly because I don't have the patience to do all the fancy work as shown above!!

Conductors fixed in screw terminals shouldn't be tinned.
OK Thanks why not Westward's pic shows a clamp not a screwed terminal connection!
[automerge]1580844638[/automerge]
That's a nice job, I would have used a ring crimp if possible.
mainly because I don't have the patience to do all the fancy work as shown above!!
Nothing fancy about it Mate just good professional practice

OK Thanks why not Westward's pic shows a clamp not a screwed terminal connection!

True. I must admit I was referring to not tinning when the wire was directly under a terminal screw, which should not be done. This is slightly different although the principle I think is the same.

True. I must admit I was referring to not tinning when the wire was directly under a terminal screw, which should not be done. This is slightly different although the principle I think is the same.
Then we will have to disagree on this occasion mate. :):D nothing personal.

While on the topic , old fuse boards the main switch terminals were rounds and accepted the tail a nice fit with twin screws...

now today the tails core is still round (ish) but the cage terminal is square

was this never pulled up upon ??

While on the topic , old fuse boards the main switch terminals were rounds and accepted the tail a nice fit with twin screws...

now today the tails core is still round (ish) but the cage terminal is square

was this never pulled up upon ??
What was/is there to be pulled up on Mate, the people that ,make the rules are all seeing Engineers, aren't they???? or supposed to be. Gods to be obeyed no less.

Yes. Or some kind of instruction of method
Have you not had any experience, of soldering??? tinning is covering the copper with a thin layer of solder, thus sweating the cores together to put it simply, google soldering or tinnimg conductors may show you more than a difficult written instruction.

You need a video??
If he has a trainee banner then he may not be as experienced as older more seasoned electricians on this forum on different methods of terminations so I don’t understand the double question marks as if he should automatically know this method.
Why not educate rather than scoff?

If he has a trainee banner then he may not be as experienced as older more seasoned electricians on this forum on different methods of terminations so I don’t understand the double question marks as if he should automatically know this method.
Basic soldering should be a skill most Electricians, Trainees or Apprentices should posses in fact most DIYers have soldering skills, plumber do!!

Basic soldering should be a skill most Electricians, Trainees or Apprentices should posses in fact most DIYers have soldering skills, plumber do!!
I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve soldered, it’s not that common Pete depending on your scope of work

Reply to Good practice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net