Discuss Good practice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

garyt

-
Reaction score
Hi still hearing conflicting information regarding good practice when terminating conductors in general, do most electricians still double over conducors although it can damage the copper connections.
Thanks.

I double over if it's obvious the conductor will be small in a terminal....I.e, a single 2.5 in a socket, a small 0.75 flex into a spur etc...

I always aim to get the best possible connection between the terminal and the conductor itself.

I double over if it's obvious the conductor will be small in a terminal....I.e, a single 2.5 in a socket, a small 0.75 flex into a spur etc...

I always aim to get the best possible connection between the terminal and the conductor itself.
flex in a FCU should be ferrules. go stand in the naughty corner. :p

I always make sure the terminal screw closes down on 2 surfaces, spreading the force. Either bending over a single solid core, or 2 unbent.
Fill up the terminal hole as much as possible.

Aren't the terminal holes designed for one core then? It would be interesting to get an electrical accessory manufacturers input into this. It's more than reasonable to expect most common accessories to have either just one core in each connection or multiple cores in each one. Surly they should be designed to be equally secure with either option.

flex in a FCU should be ferrules
Unless the terminals are designed to accept fine-stranded conductors. The old MK FCUs with wrap-around screws with captive washers, for example, were specifically designed for flex and could not be used with ferrules.

In general I double solid and class 2 stranded conductors in pillar terminals that do not have a conductor protection tongue. The screw tip bites into the conductor ensuring a gas-tight contact even when the clamping force is spread over the greater number of contact points of the doubled conductor, and especially with solid conductors the elasticity is improved to resist thermal cycling. Without doubling, the screw tip sometimes deforms and weakens the conductor too much, or the force is badly off-centre if a solid conductor is trapped to one side of it, causing it to slacken after a small amount of cold flow.

If there is a protection spring I tend to leave conductors single unless the screw is likely to bottom out due to a mismatch in size. These terminals do not chew into the conductor so badly and the pressure is more even over the surface. Rising clamp terminals do not normally need doubling either, unless they are of poor design or construction with a tendency for the clamp to tilt over, in which case I would double and position the conductor to apply the force symmetrically either side of the screw.

Making a good connection is a craft in itself that used to be taught in detail. Some of it is common sense, but there are all sorts of specifics that can help achieve a good result with any combination of cable and terminal. Knowledge of the properties of different metals, thermal cycling effects, chemistry of corrosion processes etc. can make a difference when the conditions are more demanding.

I always make sure the terminal screw closes down on 2 surfaces, spreading the force. Either bending over a single solid core, or 2 unbent.
Fill up the terminal hole as much as possible.
There were occasions during my Apprentice days in the 1950s early 60s when I was taught to bind larger conductors with a core of the said conductor when connecting say as an example a 7/064 into a terminal designed to take a larger conductor, just thought you would like to know that piece of useless sorry useful information, to add to your knowledge data base, never know when something like that will save the day, do you?:p:p

bind larger conductors with a core of the said conductor when connecting say as an example a 7/064 into a terminal designed to take a larger conductor

A good shout Pete, many are the times that I've whipped a conductor to make it fit. It's like making your own custom ferrule on the spot. The disadvantage relative to doubling or at least folding back a proportion of the strands is that all the current must flow through double the number of contact surfaces, from core to whipping wire and then to the terminal, but the same applies to a ferrule and isn't a problem if the correct torque is used.

MEM Exels were regular offenders for having terminals that wouldn't clamp down to the minimum size of cable that you might want to use. kWh meters and small tails were another situation.

I have been wrapping tails for years it prevents the conductors shifting. This is a 35mm bond I recently did, wrapped and you can see there is no shift and that is as tight as it goes.Good practice 20190604_153034 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
I would say don't tin it if it's going to be clamped with a screw fixing.

Reply to Good practice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock