Discuss Goods Lift Brake Solenoid Not Operating Correctly in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks for the heads up,

Fortunately I'm not responsible for this repair, basically just an interested party. I wouldn't normally get involved with the control side of lifts as I have no experience at all in this field. Like I state, I was asked to have a quick look and you could clearly see the brake not disengaging properly causing the squeal as it bound on. You could see the armature move back to open the brake shoes but there appeared to be not enough clearance. It appeared as though the return spring was too strong and the armature shaft was not moving fully in position.

Since this brake system had been removed and fully re-furbished, my first question was regarding the adjustment, and the engineer told me that it was adjusted, set and tested as per design spec. Obviously I'm in no position to argue this. The cover was off to the terminals of the solenoid so as they tried the lift and the brake attempted to dis-engage I tested across the terminals a couple of times. This is when I got the 169/170V ac readings. The I.D plate though not clear appears to state 185V dc.

So, with no experience in these matters my assumption is/was that the applied voltage was firstly ac not dc and secondly too low to operate the solenoid as it was designed to do, thus causing the brake to bind on.

The lift is now back in operation, so I assume the problem sorted, though I have no details on what was done to achieve this.

Cheers for the reply. If the lift company have re-commissioned the lift,then no worries.

I would have the same interest as yourself,in such a device and it's problems,especially if of a vintage ?

My concerns were not intended to spoil any interesting discussion on the function of period DC equipment,but to warn against a well intentioned and honest offer of assistance,allowing you to be drawn in to a possible can of worms.

In the past,i have seen and been closely involved,with such incidents,and it is not always the true villians,who the courts,or our safety friends in Sheffield,finally crucify.

I was once asked to "cast an eye",on a similar lifting device,having found myself in the middle of a falling out,between two,rival lift maintenance companies,and a building maintenance outfit.

The many visits and parts fitted,with no lasting fix,resulted in one of the engineers,and myself,inspecting the winding gear,where an old trick with yellow marker,revealed a siezed sheave,which the rope had cut through,almost to the bearing. This was the cause of noise,stretch and mis-timing.

This was an obvious long-standing issue,and had been missed by the engineer or his team,so put his company on the spot,but my involvement with LOLER and PUWER,meant i had a duty of care,regardless of any professional employ. He bit the bullet,and submitted an amended report,which allowed mine to remain in me diary?

At no point,during any of the above,did i receive payment,or even a "thank you"..... the lad asked me where i bought me yellow marker from,but not even a cup of tea... ?

Hi,in connection with the topic,might i suggest the OP ensures any possible future liability risks,in testing or altering this braking system.

Having had many involvements in similar devices,any issue or mishap,at any time in the future,will be firmly dropped in the lap of the last-to-touch.

It usually is not the 12 people hurtling via gravity to doom,in a goods lift they should not have entered....
...it will be the 1" misalignment or slip,which catches a toe or finger,followed by the wait in casualty,watching the waiting room TV,with it's blame hunting brief ad's...

Be 100% sure of two things...

1) The squealing you mention,is not a siezed or failing shaft/coupling,resonance on one or more reeving falls,or a sheaving fault.

2) It's not you who gets the curly finger ?
Good advice

Even worse a brake failure resulting in someone falling down a lift shaft after leaving the door open at a landing

I would leave it to the lift company to sort, rest assured the LOLER examiner will be scrutinising any brake repair/refurbishment documentation on his/her next thorough examination and if in any doubt supplementary tests will be called for at the expense of the lift owner.

If the examiner feels the brake is in any way problematic they will issue an immediate defect and likely inform the HSE or other enforcement authority.

Worst case of any accident involving the lift (even if nothing to do with the braking system) you are likely to be called upon due to your involvement in the lifts recent maintenance/repair history

Its simply not worth getting involved with

Noticed a news item,regarding a fatality,involving a lift engineer,at Oldham Hospital.

Just to prove my mention of events which can lead to full investigations.....very sad,and my thoughts are with the family,of a fellow engineer,who went to work and did not come home.

Reply to Goods Lift Brake Solenoid Not Operating Correctly in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock