Discuss Got children at University - maintenance loans and parental contributions in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Our eldest went through University quite a few years ago, different student loans then.

It still wasn't enough to pay for digs, food etc. Memory is a bit hazy about it now, but suffice to say its an expensive time for parents.

On a more sober note; there's incredible pressure on them to perform. The week my lad started, a student jumped off a building and one of his room mates failed the first year, but never told his parents until halfway through the next. I see in the news recently, similar stories.

Not the sort of thing you'll want to hear Murdoch, but its not just an easy life for 3 years, although they do seem to party a lot!

Yep, did it with my daughter, we managed to get her a place at a local uni so she could live at home and also continue with her part time job.
We visited a few that meant she would have had to stay away, but they just want to push the “university experience” partying, clubbing, etc, work and her degree seemed to come secondary.

It is the staying away that costs, so if at all possible I would recommend a local one.

It is the staying away that costs, so if at all possible I would recommend a local one.

You want to get rid of them, its the life experience that counts. Been there and done that with two sons, one went to Surrey the second to Exeter.

The ex contributed as I told her she could sell the house that I gave her 60% of............

My eldest kids are 12 and I have been looking at the possibilities of sending them to uni when the time comes.
In all honesty, having them start off their careers £50k in debt is not my idea of a good start in life for them.

Have a read of the website moneysavingexpert.com by martin lewis that bloke on tv. Has some very useful bits of info on there.
Its not a proper debt its more a higher tax rate and unless you do a degree that leads to a very high salary its written off eventually anyway.
One of the girls in my sisters house at uni played it well. Her parents were together but not married so she wrangled a load of grants and bursaries from the uni as she was classed as single parent family!
When it comes to uni it all comes down to courses. Some are a waste of time where as some are a path to riches such as city of london. Some of the stem subjects etc
Around here we have bath uni and bath spa. Bath uni is good attracts top students where as spa is more arty and social sciences. Accomodation is eye watering if you go for the purpose built student digs.
Where possible stay in a student hmo as its half the price.
There is a block by me under construction for students where studios start around 800 per month!!! A room in a shared house though around 400 per month...

murdoch, provide her with an apprenticeship with yourself. get her through college to become a qualified spark having had good practical experience with your good self. ( and it saves you having to carry the tools back to the van.:D.).

Around here we have bath uni and bath spa. Bath uni is good attracts top students where as spa is more arty and social sciences. Accommodation is eye watering if you go for the purpose built student digs.
Where possible stay in a student hmo as its half the price.
There is a block by me under construction for students where studios start around 800 per month!!! A room in a shared house though around 400 per month...

Which is where we were yesterday - Friday was Warwick!

My eldest kids are 12 and I have been looking at the possibilities of sending them to uni when the time comes.
In all honesty, having them start off their careers £50k in debt is not my idea of a good start in life for them.

A large percentage of kids are unlikely to pay it off!

Physics ..........
No doubt you had the talks on student accomodation in bath and the eye watering prices then..., Bath is good for physics but not quite up there with some of the others such as UCL and obvious choices like the oxbridge universities. One of my mates studied physics at St andrews years ago and is now on a 6 figure salary for a defence firm having spent several years in the Royal Navy doing techy things with Radar.
At least she has a brain and is pushing herself with something meaningful and useful that will lead to decent earning career options as far too many kids take soft degrees then seem bewildered when they cant walk into a high paying job when they graduate.

University is a joke. Demanding grade A's at school to get into the 'best'. Too much exam pressure on 17/18 year olds.

I've been to a few uni open days with my daughter, she's liking Newcastle more than Edinburgh...
The course she wanted at Edinburgh asked for 3 B's and 2 C's in the prospectus, but she was told on the open day they wouldn't accept anybody without 5 A's. Whats the point of printing a bloody entry requirement?

My advice is, if you're dead set on going to uni, do a course you will enjoy, in a city you will enjoy.
Companies looking for graduates will be happy you have ANY degree, not any specific degree... It shows you have the potential to learn.

Before anyone says we've got it easy in Scotland with free tuition..... that only means a SCOTTISH student going to a SCOTTISH university. We will be paying if she decides on Newcastle next year.
She is self-funding a gap year in China this year....

Companies looking for graduates will be happy you have ANY degree, not any specific degree... It shows you have the potential to learn.

Before anyone says we've got it easy in Scotland with free tuition..... that only means a SCOTTISH student going to a SCOTTISH university. We will be paying if she decides on Newcastle next year.
She is self-funding a gap year in China this year....

Not sure about the any degree bit ...........

"free tuition" --------- hum, if England had £1500 more per head to spend maybe we would have this too.

Which is where we were yesterday - Friday was Warwick!
Warwick is a good Uni, my youngest did German and Business there and walked away with a 1st, did PT work for the first 2 years somewhere in a canteen for Network Rail then in the final year stopped working to concentrate on getting a decent result.

Not sure about the any degree bit ...........

"free tuition" --------- hum, if England had £1500 more per head to spend maybe we would have this too.
But instead you have free dental care.

I paid £300 last week for root canal, it would have cost £59 over in England

It's swings and roundabouts

Mines paid his off, aged 36.
I never took one out
I worked 40+ hours Friday, Saturday and Sunday and then back to uni on a Sunday night

Paid my own fees and rent

At least when I graduated I was under no obligations to anyone, so I was able to walk away from it and decide to get a trade instead

Reply to Got children at University - maintenance loans and parental contributions in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock