Discuss Got Problems at work any advice ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Joseph Callanan

Hi there,

I am an apprentice and i have worked for my boss for about 18 months now and I feel as that I know a good amount of electrical knowledge and i am still on £2.68 an hour. I have already completed a C&G 2330 LV2 and I have been on a 2357 C&G LV3 With the NVQ LV3. I have done my 1st year and still no pay rise or acknowledgement of my progress within the company. I have not started my on-site log book yet as when I ask my boss to take photos of me for my evidence he says " I havent got the time to stop and help you" I just feel like cheap labour, I am thinking weather a full-time job may be better than this apprenticeship. Have you any advice on my situation or any tips within my problem ???

Thanks

Joe C.

Hi there,

I am an apprentice and i have worked for my boss for about 18 months now and I feel as that I know a good amount of electrical knowledge and i am still on £2.68 an hour. I have already completed a C&G 2330 LV2 and I have been on a 2357 C&G LV3 With the NVQ LV3. I have done my 1st year and still no pay rise or acknowledgement of my progress within the company. I have not started my on-site log book yet as when I ask my boss to take photos of me for my evidence he says " I havent got the time to stop and help you" I just feel like cheap labour, I am thinking weather a full-time job may be better than this apprenticeship. Have you any advice on my situation or any tips within my problem ???

Thanks

Joe C.
sounds like he is taking advantage of you then, it doesnt take long to just take a quick picture. my firm is always busy but always manage to do them.

(get a labourer or anyone around to take one with your phone) [emoji6]

Hi there,

Thanks

Joe C.

Sounds like another useless boss who takes advantage. You should be on the NMW for your age group after the first year is completed. Have you said anything to your boss about your concerns. In my experience you have to be lucky to find a decent company to work for and there is a lot of bad ones out there. Maybe time to look for a different employer to carry on with. Good luck.

Sounds like another useless boss who takes advantage. You should be on the NMW for your age group after the first year is completed. Have you said anything to your boss about your concerns. In my experience you have to be lucky to find a decent company to work for and there is a lot of bad ones out there. Maybe time to look for a different employer to carry on with. Good luck.

Only if he is 19 or over.

Does sound like he is getting taken for a ride though. An apprenticeship should teach you your trade, and a boss that has no time to help you with your NVQ photos doesn't sound that interested in teaching at all.

@OP ... Have a sniff round for places on the quiet, as it sounds like a move might be the best thing for you.

Does sound like he is getting taken for a ride though. An apprenticeship should teach you your trade, and a boss that has no time to help you with your NVQ photos doesn't sound that interested in teaching at all.

@OP ... Have a sniff round for places on the quiet, as it sounds like a move might be the best thing for you.

Yes just realised that, thanks. Can honestly say i thought this rule applied to all ages. :smile:

I quite agree.

IMHO the "structure" of wages for apprentices should show an increase for each year completed!

I quite agree.

IMHO the "structure" of wages for apprentices should show an increase for each year completed!

My apprenticeship was
47.5% of qualified man's rate in 1st year
60% " " in 2nd year
75% " " in 3rd year
90% " " in 4th year

@ the OP have you spoken to your father about your situation, whenever i was a young fella 15/16 it took my da to have a word with my boss (non electrical job) to get me a pay rise. Sometimes it has to be man to man and young boys are easily fobbed off

You’ve several options:

Confront your boss.
Walk out and find somewhere else.
Talk to your training provider.
Talk to a solicitor.

It’s up to you. Asking on a forum won’t get you a pay rise. You’ll get lots of righteous indignation, but no beer tokens.

Hey Joe
(sorry but i couldn't resist that, love Hendrix)

As Tony says, it is up to you... but at least you have started as an apprentice and that's the best way to a trade. Asking a few questions might ruffle a few feathers and..you never know. Good luck with it.

Joe, speak to him, front it, is he pleased with your work?, if he is happy with your work, knowledge and performance, then an overdue pay rise should be on the cards.

I'd say your main objective is to become fully qualified. You have to way up the alternatives. Look for a new job but don't burn you ********. Time flies, when your qualified you can tell him "thanks but no thanks".

if i was you i would just talk to your boss see what he says, if your not happy then look for another job on the sly just send your cv off to other companys without letting your boss know and see what happens.

Hi there,

Thanks

Joe C.

whether

just a thought if you are thinking of wanging off some CVs.

Good luck.

Reply to Got Problems at work any advice ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net