Discuss Got to be impressed with the craftsmanship... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bloody philistine. tha'ts bespoke cable trunking from c. 100 years ago. VIR insulated singles. installed when we took a pride in the work and didn't need to chuck it in for price. was generally a joiner installed the trunking, then spark would follow with cables.
I found some old wooden trunking once and it had machined lidding (you know what I mean), quality gear!

Thanks Andy, I'm really looking for runs of 6-8 feet minimum to make up a full size display. I have a few lengths so far but none in completely undamaged condition.

Capping and casing reused....original vir's removed, by the looks.
Another section of the trade that used to be.
I don't see much these days as I do very little domestic but seen loads in the past....usually either too dirty or cream crackered to keep for reminders.
This, believe it or not, was a supply to two really big old houses, supplies side by side, meters one either side. I was working on the other one and got DNO involved.Got to be impressed with the craftsmanship... photo 10.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

....and through to the other side.

Got to be impressed with the craftsmanship... photo 11.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
@ipf, genuinely interesting and I can't recall when I last saw any in this area. Single-core non-armoured PILC service cable. I am trying to guess the conductor gauge, whether it's normal 0.0225 sq ins. (7/.064) or heavier.

I presume the DNO split off the shared service, but did they also replace this service cable? How was it configured where it entered the property - was there a joint at the far end of that wooden casing?

from the outside an Exel switch-fuse but was quite surprised what was on the inside.

I should do a whole thing about splitters and multiway versions of familiar switchfuses. We were caught out by a Simplex 60A cast-iron one many years ago. The SF was on a submain that we wanted to re-purpose but as it was in use when we did the recce and the lid is interlocked shut while switched on, we didn't look inside the SF. When we returned to do the work, as well as the expected 60A there was also a 30A pup fuse inside feeding some other sub-board that we hadn't allowed for, as the cable disappeared out of a back-entry into a cupboard on the other side of the wall. Caused us a headache as we had no way to re-feed it and hadn't allowed for the extra load.

There was loads of wooden casing/capping in a newish church we were working in recently, the huge notches in the joists had caused them to sag an awful lot, especially as many of the notches were right in the centre of the joists. Couldn't remove the casings as they were now jammed in the notch in the joists.

@ipf, genuinely interesting and I can't recall when I last saw any in this area. Single-core non-armoured PILC service cable. I am trying to guess the conductor gauge, whether it's normal 0.0225 sq ins. (7/.064) or heavier.

I presume the DNO split off the shared service, but did they also replace this service cable? How was it configured where it entered the property - was there a joint at the far end of that wooden casing?
Lucien. It is in a quite prosperous area of Salford, a very large semi. I was asked to do an EICR for a business customer.
The main reason for getting the DNO involved were the earthing arrangements...the conduit through the wall having no connection, it looked like it had an original external connection on each end... plus the fact that I couldn't locate the main incomer...it was in the other house.
After wasting a few hours, I finally got access to next door but I couldn't see where the cables entered the house, it was underneath the stairs, and nor could I get underfloor access....the householder not being very happy. The DNO arrived an hour after calling them and made things safe, temporarily. They arranged with both parties for access the following week to install separate supplies. I didn't get to see the removal, unfortunately.
The original installation is definitely pre WWII. Get the earth soldering. That was obviously done later (insulated), I would guess by the Authority.

Last edited:

Reply to Got to be impressed with the craftsmanship... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock