Discuss Governing Schemes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I live in Scotland and have been asked to do some testing on a commercial building. I have a SJIB card; do I need to be a member of ECA , Select or NICEIC to be allowed to sign the test sheets

For the UK you are required to have your level 3 tech' cert' and 17th update and to certify your own work. To test other installs you are required to also have the 2394 / 2395 inspection and testing certs. As for ECA, NICEIC, NAPPIT etc they help the process but technically you don't have to be a member but it does make dealing with building control a lot less hassle. I have some colleagues who have given copies of all their qualifications to building control and conducted rewires in that manner but they have to pre-warn what they intend then have building control come out and inspect it then you pay for the privillage it makes sense if you only vary rarely conduct electrical installation work. When it comes to site work you need all of the above plus you also need level 3 NVQ and ECS card to be considered a fully qualified electrician. Plenty of hoops to jump through I'm sure the rules are slightly different for Scotland just to make things more complicated!

I would have thought if you are working mainly in Scotland that Select would be a good choice.

Clear as mud that's how they like it.

Hi I live in Scotland and have been asked to do some testing on a commercial building. I have a SJIB card; do I need to be a member of ECA , Select or NICEIC to be allowed to sign the test sheets

No you don't, unless the client ordering the testing stipulates it.

For the UK you are required to have your level 3 tech' cert' and 17th update and to certify your own work. To test other installs you are required to also have the 2394 / 2395 inspection and testing certs. As for ECA, NICEIC, NAPPIT etc they help the process but technically you don't have to be a member but it does make dealing with building control a lot less hassle. I have some colleagues who have given copies of all their qualifications to building control and conducted rewires in that manner but they have to pre-warn what they intend then have building control come out and inspect it then you pay for the privillage it makes sense if you only vary rarely conduct electrical installation work. When it comes to site work you need all of the above plus you also need level 3 NVQ and ECS card to be considered a fully qualified electrician. Plenty of hoops to jump through I'm sure the rules are slightly different for Scotland just to make things more complicated!

I would have thought if you are working mainly in Scotland that Select would be a good choice.

Clear as mud that's how they like it.

and that sums up your post. he don't need level3, 17th, and god knows what else to test. all he needs is to be "competent". possession of 2391 is advantageous in proving competence, but not necessary.

I agree with you but the courses I stated above are a way of gaining competence and proving that you have been instructed and tested.

As far as the regs' are concerned you are right:
"Competent person -
A person who possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others."

I work in a college teaching electrical as well as contracting so you can understand where I am coming from.

I do agree with you Telectrix but the expected routes are as I stated above.

Reply to Governing Schemes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net