Discuss Government and solar PV in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here and will aim to help around with solar PV stuff as much as possible.

But for now I was wondering if someone can shed some lightt onto how the government can help increase uptake of domestic solar PV? I believe that uptake is still quite low despite many installations per day. The potential is huge (surely)! Anyone got any ideas? Looking to get some sort of discussion flowing :)

Thanks!

I don't beleive PV is / was economic without FIT, otherwise there would already have been millions of existing P.V installations before FIT came into being.

It will be economic in the future when Electricity costs rise significantly against a lower rising cost of a P.V installation.
That's providing the cost of replacing panels and Inverters on existing ageing systems doesn't prove P.V to be totally uneconomic.

Last edited:
Scrap the feed in tariff and the mcs scheme and all the b locks that goes with it. If that was done kit prices would drop and it might be viable. As it is, unless you use the power when it's available(forget battery storage) then it's a waste of money.

I don't beleive PV is / was economic without FIT, otherwise there would already have been millions of existing P.V installations before FIT came into being.

It will be economic in the future when Electricity costs rise significantly against a lower rising cost of a P.V installation.
That's providing the cost of replacing panels and Inverters on existing ageing systems doesn't prove P.V to be totally uneconomic.

I partially agree here. I think the high capital cost is the real reason that we don't see millions of home with PV. Most people just don't have that much disposable income.

PV is close to reaching grid parity, but yes, it still will take a little longer.

Scrap the feed in tariff and the mcs scheme and all the b locks that goes with it. If that was done kit prices would drop and it might be viable. As it is, unless you use the power when it's available(forget battery storage) then it's a waste of money.

I don't understand how the prices will drop if the FIT was scrapped? The FIT was there to support people with the high costs of PV. Hence, as the tech has declined in cost, the FIT has also been cut.

The MCS makes a ton of cash from its fee paying members. They have nothing to do with the cost of the technology, surely?

I was installing solar back in 2005 when kit was cheaper to buy and install. Then labour decided to bring in the micro generation scheme and feed in tariff along with a load of suits to regulate to the last squeak. Costs went up inline with the feed in tariff. The mcs became ever more officious to the point the many gave up on it before the market began to draw it's dying breaths.
Now you have to pay out more than a grand a year to be a member on top of your scheme fees.

Alot of people are making good money from the FIT (me included) payments which is why the payments were cut rapidly when the rent a roof brigade appeared.
If the FIT payments were altered so that they paid back the initial investment plus perhaps 10% at a decent rate before coming to an end, housholders would then put up the initial capital as after say 4-5 years they would have recouped it and be left with reduced electricity costs for the life of the system.

Reply to Government and solar PV in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock