Discuss GRANDFATHERS old-style scooped forced air torpedo heater sentimental value! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Recently had this part burnt out . I have tried to contact numerous parts people, companies, and diffthat didn't

Can you post a couple of photos for us to see the part...and the heater?

Attachments

• Resized_IMG_20190917_192943252_123963282759169.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Resized_IMG_20190917_192956720_123962956029898.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 44

Attachments

• 16091786230382469898447359551933.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 16091787085885340491056275832.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 16091787366291640143320358264039.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 38
I can't be certain because I've not been able to find anything about that burner due to it's age. It could be it's something to do with the photocell flame detection (no light, turn on the igniter kind of deal). The best thing you could do is have a chat with a local plumber who deals with heating, particularly oil burners.

I know what a lot of the components are in that burner and how they tie together but I have no clue what that block does beyond the possibility that it's something to do with the igniter (if you're not familiar with these burners, the igniter transformer can be lethal so be very careful around the spring terminals/copper contacts coming out of the block on top of the blower and never touch them when the power is applied).

I can't be certain because I've not been able to find anything about that burner due to it's age. It could be it's something to do with the photocell flame detection (no light, turn on the igniter kind of deal). The best thing you could do is have a chat with a local plumber who deals with heating, particularly oil burners.

I know what a lot of the components are in that burner and how they tie together but I have no clue what that block does beyond the possibility that it's something to do with the igniter (if you're not familiar with these burners, the igniter transformer can be lethal so be very careful around the spring terminals/copper contacts coming out of the block on top of the blower and never touch them when the power is applied).
Being American, it could be anything! ?

Thank you for your opinion. I thought the blk block was a solid relay but I'm not sure tho.

I'd suggest contact the manufacturers for advice.

They have a downloads page and if you scroll down they have pdf's on models going back to the 1960's so with a bit of luck and patience you might find some relevant info. Good luck.

Thank you for tha advice! The spot on thats black block where the info was where it burnt up at. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about solid state relays? Could this block be one? Also Thank you for all your time i do really appreciate it!

I'd suggest contact the manufacturers for advice.

They have a downloads page and if you scroll down they have pdf's on models going back to the 1960's so with a bit of luck and patience you might find some relevant info. Good luck.
I have they said that model was soooo old then tried to sell me super expensive unit. I responded to then saying all I need is part number or volts/ amps requirements however I'm still waiting on return email 2 1/2 months now.?

This is what I have to go off of. Thank to all who has helped its very appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201204-211041_Drive.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20201204-204442_Drive.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20201203-091605_Drive.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20201203-091620_Drive.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 15
Thank you for your opinion. I thought the blk block was a solid relay but I'm not sure tho.
What part would be responsible for when shut down the fans keep running till thee unit cools down. Only reset button on the unit is on electrical motor.

I have they said that model was soooo old then tried to sell me super expensive unit. I responded to then saying all I need is part number or volts/ amps requirements however I'm still waiting on return email 2 1/2 months now.?
Wow I do appreciate all your time and energy everyone has put in on my issue!!!!. Y'all are great people.

Reply to GRANDFATHERS old-style scooped forced air torpedo heater sentimental value! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net