Discuss Grandkids updated in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

stevethesparks

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My last (and first) photographic post, I was moaning I hadn't touched my gear in nearly a year.
My Son was moaning that I hadn't taken any yet of his youngest so bullied me into getting set up over the break.
Theres only so much you can do in my smallish lounge, also with one of my flash heads out of action, but they didn't come out too bad.
Pretty boring with white background and compared to those who have a better eye than me and actually take their camera's outside the house :)
In age order:

Grandkids updated {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Many thanks, although if I put them on a photographic forum, they'd get ripped to pieces lol.

My main camera is the Canon classic 5D. I purchased this purely for high definition for bigger enlargements (it was high definition when I first got it). Favorite len's are Tamron 28-75mm, Canon 85mm 1.8 (couldn't afford the 1.2) and more recently the Canon 70-200 f4.

Many years ago, I used to dev and print my own, I spent ages in my outdoor shed / darkroom.
I spent much time and a small fortune trying to get the colour balance right, with a 20 minute delay between each print. How things have been made easier now with digital. It has certainly improved my knowledge by being able to experiment with free digital images, but unfortunately has spoilt me, and turned me into a bit of a snapper rather than photographer, as I no longer have to make every shot count on a roll of 36 exposure 35mm.

love the canon gear. just acquired a 40D body. accepts my EF lenses from my aging 10D. tamron 24-70, canon 35-105, sigma 70-300, sigma prime 400, canon prime 50mm. 1.8.

Nice pics Steve, I like. I'm currently doing a bit of home portraits myself but also finding I'm a bit bored with the standard background and currently looking for a cheap (well diy) background.
Yes but using digital gives you more time to take pics and be more creative.

For the price, although it can wobble a bit, the 50mm 1,8 can be an excellent lens. I would have at first liked the Canon equivalent to my Tamron, but to be honest apart from focusing a little slower, I think it compares in quality as regards the images it can produce.
How you getting on with the 40D?
Do you generally shoot straight to Jpeg or RAW?

raw at the moment. haven't figured out how to select jpeg on it's own. in the quality menu it only gives options for raw L, M and S.

Nice pics Steve, I like. I'm currently doing a bit of home portraits myself but also finding I'm a bit bored with the standard background and currently looking for a cheap (well diy) background.
Yes but using digital gives you more time to take pics and be more creative.

One of my favourites, although not used recently as you need a fair bit of depth between subject and background, is a black or black with a rear light pointing at it giving a fall-off effect - as in pic 1,2,& 8 of my previous photo post.
What background do you generally use?

raw at the moment. haven't figured out how to select jpeg on it's own. in the quality menu it only gives options for raw L, M and S.

I prefer Raw, it allows me some control if I make exposure mistakes. My old photoshop CS3 works good with the 5D, but when I bought a 550D body (mainly for the video) I found my current version of photoshop wouldn't handle the RAW files so had to buy a cheaper version of Elements - what a rip off.

Only shoot in RAW as I use Lightroom & photoshop as JPEG has little control.
Never really done portraits before so it's all new to me and I only have the one strobe which I have just purchased my first umbrella for. Just white walls at mo but pics all feel like school pics, I wanted something with a bit of drama if you know what I mean.

For the subject lighting, you can do fine with just the one strobe - with the aid of a reflector for fill - use very close to the subject. the best purchase I made with lighting was my first Elinchrom two flash kit (D-Lite 200) of which also came with stands and soft boxes.
Some in the photo forums slagged them off a fair bit, but for me they have behaved impeccably and in my opinion are a great start into photographic lighting.
I've not really seen what's available nowadays, (I spent far too much in the past) but I'm sure these will have been superseded by something better by now.

i had a studio flash in my film camera days, but for the bulk found it was easier to use a speedlight on the camera with a couple of sigma flashguns on tripods slaved to it.

I looked at the current lighting kits but don't have space at moment to store them so went the strobe way to see if I like this type of photography first. That's the only problem space, living room looks like a film studio after 10 min. Are you using a frame for your background or hanging from wall?

I used to hang sheets on the wall lol, but nowadays use a purpose made stand and large rolls of paper.
The best thing I ever done was to hire a hall for a few hours, all the space you need, and can also achieve those black background with no background at all - as you have the depth.

Edit
How I would have love a purpose built studio rather than my lounge :)

I did wonder this, when you say paper background how does this fair when people stand on it? Or is it more like the stuff projector screens are made of.

You really want something that is non reflective - dependant on what effects you want to achieve.
With the paper, I generally use it continuous from background, curved onto the floor. if you use it on a hard floor and keep your subjects shoes off of it, it will last a lot longer, to be rolled up again with a possible couple of more uses from it.
However, yesterday, having it rolled out onto a carpet, holes soon appeared, and so had to cut and roll some more off. It can get expensive.
For head and shoulder portraits, you can use almost anything, if you have the depth between your subject and background, you can be a lot more creative, and also makes it easier to isolate your subject into an almost 3D image up front.
Some people swear by upside down lino, I suppose at least it can be wiped clean.

Sometimes you just get lucky....

Eldest grandson........the eyes have it.........
No special set up........longish lens and a shallow depth of field.

After nearly 6 years, not having time due to being self employed. Now forced into early retirement (I put in 49 years) I've dusted off some of my gear. Now fully intend to enjoy my retirement getting back into portraiture.

Attachments

• Grandkids updated IMG_4184_edit2_edit - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_4184_edit2_edit.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Grandkids updated IMG_4203_edit.tif_edit1_edit - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_4203_edit.tif_edit1_edit.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 16

Reply to Grandkids updated in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock