Discuss Granny Annex / Log Cabin Job. Help? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ADAM945

Hi All

Only just signed up so go easy on me, ill introduce myself in the newbies sections soon.

I have finished my 3 year at college (C+G's 2330) late may and a family member has asked me to run power to a granny annex/log cabin thats situated about 90 ft down the end of their garden for his mother-in-law. and has also asked me to add sockets inside as well as lighting (about 4 light fixings in all)

From theories/regs etc i have learnt from college...

I had a look at what is needed to be to done, the area etc. His CCU is situated above his stairs and is beside a main wall. so, do i run the correct thickness SWA ( after calculating voltage drop etc) from the side of the CCU out the wall, down to floor level, then either bury it or clip it to the concrete panels along the bottom of the fence via saddles to the bottom of the garden to the cabin?...

Then from there into a small garage type mini CCU with 2 rcds/mcbs for sockets and for lights?

Also, how much would you charge?

Would this be the correct way to do this or is there a better way? As this is a farly big job for me and i want to do it properly for them to get signed off.

Many thanks.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
bit harsh sticking the mother-in-law in a shed in the garden..as they say he who laughs last etc..:D

but dont forget about smoke alarms,sleeping occupants in a wooden building need to know pretty quick,also may be worth running another small swa to act as a fire trip into the main house to alert them too,

bit harsh sticking the mother-in-law in a shed in the garden..as they say he who laughs last etc..:D

but dont forget about smoke alarms,sleeping occupants in a wooden building need to know pretty quick,also may be worth running another small swa to act as a fire trip into the main house to alert them too,

Yeah thats a good call bud ill let them know

What you propose sounds fine....what type of earthing is provided at the CCU end and are there any other services in the mother-in-law cage?

I didnt check the earthing arrangement, didn't think to, the house is probably 70's build, but the CCU has been upgraded.

Erm im not absolutely sure what is going in there if im honest, i know she has quite a big aircon unit which will most probably go in, the usual tv, sky, etc but im unsure on if she is going to use a heater in there. i would think she would come winter time but her aircon unit may double up as a heater.

I wired a single skin log cabin for a friend a few months ago and to avoid having surface mounted cable runs, ran pvc conduit around the outside amd then in from conduit boxes into the back of surface mounted sockets etc. Ensured waterproofing of the cabin with outdoor rated sealant. Took a bit of time but much neater than visible cable runs on the inside. Let us know how it goes

I wired a single skin log cabin for a friend a few months ago and to avoid having surface mounted cable runs, ran pvc conduit around the outside amd then in from conduit boxes into the back of surface mounted sockets etc. Ensured waterproofing of the cabin with outdoor rated sealant. Took a bit of time but much neater than visible cable runs on the inside. Let us know how it goes

Sounds like a very good idea mate. im going to find out if they are cladding the inside or not i think they may be as they have a big stack of inch think insulation panels. will do mate.

Reply to Granny Annex / Log Cabin Job. Help? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net