Discuss Green goo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How bad is it? Throughout the installation or localised?

I’ve found it tends to appear on more heavily loaded terminations.

I think the problem with green goo is that over time dust and crap is going to stick to it which is in turn hygroscopic and will eventually cause a low insulation issue. If it's small amounts of goo and not coming into contact with accessories then probably no problem, if it's running through the insides of switches, sockets or circuit breakers I'd probably be telling the customer they'll eventually need a rewire if the insulation readings start dropping.

That's all you can do really, recommended to replace any accessories that are gummed up with the stuff though. I've never known it to cause electrical issues, just a sticky mess. Best to wash hands thoroughly after contact with it.

Does this type of cable stem from the 60's 70's? It's poor quality made cable, whereby there is a chemical reaction within the cable. I believe a chemical was put in the cable to increase it's current carrying capacity.
It's advisable not to be in direct contact with it with bare hands.

I'd give it a C3, that way you get to record it and it's a permanent record on your inspection. Di-isoctyl phthalate is toxic, endocrine disruptor, (- wear gloves). It's worth your customer knowing about it. Saying that I've always measured reliably high IR in all places I've seen this stuff. If anything, the insulation can get a little bit too soft where it extrudes, so might be more vulnerable to sharp metal edges etc (because there are probably no backbox grommets either..)

Had one the other day, the worst ive ever seen by miles, nearly every switch and socket was like this

Homeowner was convinced it was supernatural ?

Yeah I'm with Midwest, if that's what most of the switches and sockets look like I think guiding them towards a rewire would be the best way forward. I wouldn't put the fear of God into them but maybe suggest it's done in sections over time to spread out the cost.

I know a guy who bought a flat and he wanted a test and inspection of the flat.

We found green goo on the insides of the accessories, showed him and printed off the green goo leaflet and the guy went for a rewire as he had not moved in yet.

My mum and dad's house has green goo in the FRC. At first I recommended a complete rewire but at 86 and 84 they could not face the upheaval. My dad, a chemist and member of the Royal Society of Chemistry looked into green goo himself and could not be persuaded by me, (member of the IET no less !) to rewire. An impasse. What annoys me about their home's problem is when we visit everything we plug in ends up with contaminated pins which we have to clean before plugging them in at our home.

Which got me wondering if one could use heat shrink to seal the ends of the conductors so that green goo remains contained and does not ooze into accessories. If that 'worked' I could then suggest this and replacement of all sockets. Anyone tried it?

My mum and dad's house has green goo in the FRC. At first I recommended a complete rewire but at 86 and 84 they could not face the upheaval. My dad, a chemist and member of the Royal Society of Chemistry looked into green goo himself and could not be persuaded by me, (member of the IET no less !) to rewire. An impasse. What annoys me about their home's problem is when we visit everything we plug in ends up with contaminated pins which we have to clean before plugging them in at our home.

Which got me wondering if one could use heat shrink to seal the ends of the conductors so that green goo remains contained and does not ooze into accessories. If that 'worked' I could then suggest this and replacement of all sockets. Anyone tried it?
It's an interesting thought that it could cause premature failure of the plug pin and socket sleeve connections, especially on the higher load appliances like washing machines and tumble dryers that already have a tendancy to burn the plugs and sockets.

Reply to Green goo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net