Discuss Green Neutral Insulation in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chloebear

Hi All
Anyone come across cable where the BLUE insulation on the neutral turns GREEN after a while??

Visited a site yesterday to carry out some testing and noticed that the insulation on the neutral of the 10mm Twin/earth cable had turned green at the shower and at the isolator, but still remained blue at the CU.

The main reason for asking is that these rooms were refurbished only 4 years ago, and they have had a few problems recently with electric showers overheating.

I was thinking along the same lines, but on the face of it the shower is 8.5Kw and cable is 10mm with all terminations tightened ok.

two things crossed my mind 1. Faulty shower units, but to have 3 fail out of 5 or cause overheating and in one case burn out completely seems strange.
or 2. poor quality cable!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you test the circuit with instruments, disconnect all cores so nothing is connected to the board or shower, firstly confirm continuity of all conductors and ensure there is no short circuit between cores, then whack a 1000 volts down the cores and then do the usual live tests, have a visual inspection of the pull cord switch and terminals, mcb terminal and actual shower terminals to see if green or black coal type dust is on or around terminals which may be hidden whilst cables are connected, whilst disconnecting you will also see if any connections were loose you know the usual school boy checks we train apprentices to look for as the standard testing routine.

Never seen it turn completely green but have seen slight discolouration due to overheating etc. Im aware of 'greening' of older cables where an ingredient in the pvc insulation reacts to the copper and gives off a green residue but if this was done 4 years ago this shoukd not be the case.

Just carry out the test mdj suggests and it should flag anything up but seems strange if its happened to 3 out of 5 shower circuits. Maybe fault coil of cable used on those 3 premises?

Why don't you test the circuit with instruments, disconnect all cores so nothing is connected to the board or shower, firstly confirm continuity of all conductors and ensure there is no short circuit between cores, then whack a 1000 volts down the cores and then do the usual live tests, have a visual inspection of the pull cord switch and terminals, mcb terminal and actual shower terminals to see if green or black coal type dust is on or around terminals which may be hidden whilst cables are connected, whilst disconnecting you will also see if any connections were loose you know the usual school boy checks we train apprentices to look for as the standard testing routine.

I agree, but why do a 1000V ins res test?? In my opinion a 500V ins res would give more realistic results. I don't even know in what situations you would use the 1000V ins res test.

To the OP, I've have never seen a conductor change colour like this. So can't give any suggestions. Heat would be the most logical reason I guess.

I can only thing that either excessive heat or maybe chemical action unless the PVC insulation was a poor quality batch.

I agree, but why do a 1000V ins res test?? In my opinion a 500V ins res would give more realistic results. I don't even know in what situations you would use the 1000V ins res test.

To the OP, I've have never seen a conductor change colour like this. So can't give any suggestions. Heat would be the most logical reason I guess.
yes possibly true, crack on then, we have made progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spoken like a true wanabe.

The cable if it is rated 600/1000 even 1000V DC is to low to prove a cable is to specification. This test is for the cable only not the circuit.

Re the OP:
Chlorine and copper can give a blue/green residue.

Spoken like a true wanabe.

The cable if it is rated 600/1000 even 1000V DC is to low to prove a cable is to specification. This test is for the cable only not the circuit.

Re the OP:
Chlorine and copper can give a blue/green residue.

No need to be so hostile dude, chill.

Yes the cable is rated up to 1000v, but that just tells you limit of the insulations properties, right?

My thinking is that if the circuit operates at 325v max, then 500v is closer to that voltage than 1000v, therefore would give a more realistic reading. I'm sure that even regs recommend 500V ins res test for T&E cables. I'm not here to argue, just wanna know people thoughts, so don't be so hostile. I enjoy the constructive feedback. =) If their is a reason why you would choose 1000v over 500v I would be interested too know. A nit picky subject to be honest.

However I think the chlorine copper reaction seems unlikely to be the cause.

The higher the voltage you test at the more likely it is that small imperfections would show up as a lower IR reading and give you an indication of an incipient fault earlier than a lower test voltage.

If blue insulation is over heated then it can cause changes in the colours used to impregnate the insulation as chemical reactions including oxidation will occur much more rapidly, reduction in the number of double and triple bonds in a coloured organic material can stop the material being coloured. If the blue is made up of a mixture that includes green to get the shading right and the blue colour is decolourised then green will remain.

Reply to Green Neutral Insulation in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net