Discuss Grey area with Certificaters in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leejcooper

Hi can you help please.
Still a bit unsure with which certificate to raise if at all. Have looked at a job where the sockets in a garage need tidying up. There is a mixture of plastic boxes with metal sockets and metal boxes with plastic sockets so looking at changing all to metal clad so just need to confirm whether i need to raise a MWC as it is like for like no rewring etc.

Thanks

I would issue a MWC to cover yourself mate. If the sockets have no CPC due to damage that is not visble, and you then whack a new front on, then your the last person to touch that circuit, and you could be held responsible.

if you're going to test, as you should, then it's no big deal to complete a MWC. as said previously, it shows that you've tested your work, and covers your arse in case some DIY muppet messes with it in the future.

like the guys have said MWC you should test , reason being if you just go in and do the work then how do you know that the install didnt have an underlying fault any works even changing a face plate should be tested as you never know if a cable has popped out when you refit the face plate and they do , tests to do Zs across the incommer make sure the supply is ok , r1r2 insulation Zs rcd , if theres a ring the end to end continuity tets

Thanks for all the replies. As i asked earlier assume i don't touch the house CU as could open a big can of worms as house has old mem board no RCD's etc

make sure you install an RCD in the garage mate always remember you have to cover your self and do the job properly issue a cert then your covered

There is a RCD and MCB in the house housed in it's own CU which is specifically for the garage so i assume i would test at the other CU in the garage as i won't be touching the house circuits? Just need to be clear in my mind.

to get your Ze and pfc for the installation, you would have to test at the origin in the house ( db1) . the EFLI at the garage CU would be classed as Zdb2.

There is a RCD and MCB in the house housed in it's own CU which is specifically for the garage so i assume i would test at the other CU in the garage as i won't be touching the house circuits? Just need to be clear in my mind.

If the RCD for the garage is in the house then you will need access to that.

I take it the house RCD MCB feed another CU in the garage !

If so does the garage CU have a main switch or another RCD !

Yes the house RCD and MCB feed another CU in the garage fitted with wired fuses

Has a main switch so no problem with RCD discrimination

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Grey area with Certificaters in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net