Discuss Grid plate customer request in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have had a customer ask me about installing a grid plate in their kitchen as part of the quotation for a rewire of said kitchen.
It wil need to include a 16A oven, washing machine, dishwasher,extractor hood and microwave oven.
I have not used one of these before so thought i would ask people who have.
Does a grid need its own supply i.e 6mm radial or does it come off the ring supply. Does each require a fuse next to each switch or are the 20amp switches enough.

Separate fusing down is only required if the appliances don’t come with plug tops

I usually try to run in separate 16a feeds back to board but if pushed you could incorporate into a new dedicated kitchen ring circuit

Separate fusing down is only required if the appliances don’t come with plug tops

I usually try to run in separate 16a feeds back to board but if pushed you could incorporate into a new dedicated kitchen ring circuit
I dont have enough ways for individual, traditionally incorporate everything except the oven on a ring, but they want a fancy grid, just trying to find out how easy they are. But if i can use the ring as the supply and everything coming off as a radial to each appliance then it could look nice.

Just out of interest how do you fuse at the grid switch (if needed)?

I've just been reading another thread on this and it seems to be acceptable on a ring (although I cant quite see how as it's like having 4 spurs coming out of one socket which seems like a pretty big imbalance at that part of the ring).

As in each switch being fused like a fused spur.
So the grid switch itself has the capacity to add individual fuses within it for each switch? Sorry Paul, you asked a question and now you're answering mine :blush:

ideal solution would be a dedicated 32A (4.0mm) feed to the grid, separate from the ring circuit. if the customer had money to spend, get the switches engraved. and be prepared for call-outs to burnt out 20A switches.

The company I do work for normally do a dedicated ring to the grid and cable from there to appliance accessory. If the appliance has a plug and is connected by means of a socket no fuse required in grid, but if through a flex outlet, a fuse would be needed at grid. It's not my fav way of doing it as I think it's very fiddly and as tel said, make sure all connections are sound as they will burn out. Also as a side note. Noticed on a job a while ago that I was doing another electrician had wired all neutrals together and ran the lives round the switches and fuses. I am not a fan of this as if an appliance has a neutral to earth fault, it will take the whole circuit out, and all appliances are lost. Wire the neutrals round the switches as well so if one appliance is faulty it can be isolated and the customer has the rest available to them.

The company I do work for normally do a dedicated ring to the grid and cable from there to appliance accessory. If the appliance has a plug and is connected by means of a socket no fuse required in grid, but if through a flex outlet, a fuse would be needed at grid. It's not my fav way of doing it as I think it's very fiddly and as tel said, make sure all connections are sound as they will burn out. Also as a side note. Noticed on a job a while ago that I was doing another electrician had wired all neutrals together and ran the lives round the switches and fuses. I am not a fan of this as if an appliance has a neutral to earth fault, it will take the whole circuit out, and all appliances are lost. Wire the neutrals round the switches as well so if one appliance is faulty it can be isolated and the customer has the rest available to them.
I think im going to encourage the customer to let me go without the grid. Thanks guys you made it alot clearer.

There often seems to be overheating problems that occur with inadequate connections on these grid plates,I suppose one way to shed the load on them would be to have large connector blocks in the box and spur feeds to each switch
I always prefer separate accessories for each control switch needed

I'm on the flip side of the coin. I don't like seeing rows of isolator switches in a kitchen. In Scotland Building Standards require above counter isolation. Grid switches come in all sizes etc.

If you have to put it on a RFC then it really needs to be in the middle of the ring IMHO
Grid plate customer request IMG_4571 - EletriciansForums.net

When you fuse down like this , would you cut off the plug tops or just have 2 fuses backing up the appliance ?

those yokes are upside down.

Reply to Grid plate customer request in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock