Discuss Grid switch in kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

schoe

Hi all I'm just running a ring circuit in a kitchen and I want to put a 2 gang grid switch above the work top to isolate the washing machine and dishwasher. How are the grid switches wired? Can I run it as part of the ring circuit looping in and out of the grid switches then running a separate wire from the switches to the appliances? Kind regards Chris

Hi all I'm just running a ring circuit in a kitchen and I want to put a 2 gang grid switch above the work top to isolate the washing machine and dishwasher. How are the grid switches wired? Can I run it as part of the ring circuit looping in and out of the grid switches then running a separate wire from the switches to the appliances? Kind regards Chris

How else are you going to do it then?? You can wire through individual points, or have both DP 20A grid switches at the same location. You'll need to use a deep back box to accommodate the switches and wiring though!! In fact, if mounted separately at different locations you can use normal 20A DP switches....

I've done 18 way kitchen grids before now that have all been 'on the ring'....am sure you can manage to do 2, surely?

I don't bother with fuse holders Lou as generally the 20 amp switches control unswitched sockets and the plug tops have the fuses in them don't they. That said I can understand using a fuse holder for certain bits of kit, Like Rockingit I have installed large super grids before all off the appliance ring and it has never been an issue so the op attempting to add a 2 gang should breeze it. To the OP= I actually like super grids and use them often, they do get some stick on here though lol so you may get a bit later yourself if you say anything which may start them off.

We use them quite a bit in the small accommodation kitchens and other locations but we tend to use FCU's to connect the appliances they are controlling. That's mainly because the the project will have it's own in-house maintenance department and generally stops any unauthorized meddling!! We have also used switched FCU's above worktops controlling non standard un-fused socket outlets for connection to appliances and equipment...

only problem with that method in the UK is that the appliances have 13A fused plug-tops, so you then have 2 13A fuses in series... no discrimination.

only problem with that method in the UK is that the appliances have 13A fused plug-tops, so you then have 2 13A fuses in series... no discrimination.

Easy method to solve that problem, but i won't disclose it over an open forum, not with all these wannabe's and DIYers nosing around!! lol!!

Easy method to solve that problem, but i won't disclose it over an open forum, not with all these wannabe's and DIYers nosing around!! lol!!

If you mean what I think you mean ok - but you will have to connect the white goods yourself (rather than just let somebody plug in later)

Reply to Grid switch in kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net