Discuss GRID switches. GRRRRR.! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hate the bloody things. 4 D/P 20A switches with 4 fuses, During a current job, UFH, some mods to sockets and switches, maybe due to dust from retiling, 1 switch started arcing. linked out till new switch came. fitted new switch with much cursing, terminals too small and not deep enough, ragging the whole issue up, down, sideways to connect, finally got the whole lot back together only to find that another switch had given up. O/C on both poles. had to pull the lot out again, link it out, order new switches. luckily customer gave me a beer before I got the hammer to it.

Hate the bloody things. 4 D/P 20A switches with 4 fuses, During a current job, UFH, some mods to sockets and switches, maybe due to dust from retiling, 1 switch started arcing. linked out till new switch came. fitted new switch with much cursing, terminals too small and not deep enough, ragging the whole issue up, down, sideways to connect, finally got the whole lot back together only to find that another switch had given up. O/C on both poles. had to pull the lot out again, link it out, order new switches. luckily customer gave me a beer before I got the hammer to it.

I feel you!! Those terminals are a bit of a struggling with a few 2.5mm2 hanging out the back. Not really designed to be tightened too much!

You have my sympathies.

I had to change an 8 switch grid the other day and typically not enough slack to work on it nicely. Right pain in the posterior, could quite happily have kicked the --- of the body that installed it.

and that was just after fighting with a 2 gang dimmer on a single 25mm back box with 3 3 core/e and 2 T/E connected, all in 1.5mm and Ns in a chock blok.

why can somebody design such an abortion whereby the exposed stripped copper can't be more than 6mm or you get visible conductor at the terminals? any terminal taking 2.5mm should be deep enough to accept at least 12mm.

Another case of modern day accessories not being suitable for purpose. Thirty years ago when todays wiring methods were not employed they would have coped effortlessly.

and regardin previous post about the bloody double dimmer. 3 x 1.5 into 1 terminal, FFS.

Best to use a 47mm deep k.o. box. I was wondering if doing the links with stranded conduit singles may help? What make was the grid switch Tel?

Best to use a 47mm deep k.o. box. I was wondering if doing the links with stranded conduit singles may help? What make was the grid switch Tel?
no chance for deeper box, steel RSJ behind. and the grid switch is Tenby.

Ok for lights, a nightmare for appliances ....

Never suggest them and point out their shortfalls to clients.

Don't like fixing them!

I sympathise with Tel,as a great deal of these layouts,are designed in kitchen sales lounges,over a coffee,with little regard for the installation issues and longevity.

The last one i dealt with,had 12 switches,and would have looked good on the set of Startrek...but otherwise,not necessary.

I carved out further back-space,terminated all the t&e to a DIN rail,and wired the rest in flexibles,a la panel spec,loomed with a pull out curl,and face hanger cables.

Lots of work,very expensive,and do i think the householder knocks them off every night? ... Nope :)

I fit 4 gang grids all the time for house builders.
Thing is they look much better than having 4 x fused spurs above the worktop and no they do not accept sockets mounted in the units.
I use a 47mm double back box, they aren’t fitted with fuse carriers which is pointless, and I chop the box back an extra 10mm.
A little further back if 4 mm is required for the circuit.

Agree they certainly make you mad,I find all Mk grid switches are poor,terminals are rubbish,frightening pushing all back wondering if you’ve caught a cable...& if you replace a switch it’s a nightmare.
The Mk ones they can be pulled out,but make sure the supply is off.....Bang.

Reply to GRID switches. GRRRRR.! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock