Discuss Grid switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

james king

hello.

jut a quick q on grid switches and what your ways to install them are..

eg. using 20A DP switches with a fuse next to it or just install a FCU to hard wire applience in, there for not fusing at the grid.

would you run it in 4mm, 2.5mm or 6mm radial or would you run it of the ring?

i would like to hear your thoughts as i have seen many many ways before

I have a question myself which I think fits this thread... Don't mean to hijack at all!

When you say the grid switch, do you mean the ones where it has a a single switch for each appliance? E.g. Dishwasher, Fridge, Oven etc.

Having never looked at the rear of the switch plate, how do you wire to and from these?

Are the circuits all installed as spurs from them?!

You link all the supply terminals together to keep the ring in tact or radial going and then just a single spur to the outlet for the appliance. They can be a little bit fiddly

First. I'll warn you, I'm half cut, so if admin take the huff, then oh well, I'll deal with that tomorrow !
Right, tell me, the posters above me, are any of you sparks ? Running a spur, through a 20a DP switch UNFUSED ! I've done something similar to this once, when I was an apprentice, even then I had the (half) sense to use a 32a dp switch !
Next, running a 6mm for a grid bank, again with no fuses, either means a low load with about a 150m run, or you haven't a clue ! If it's the second one, do yourself a favour, get yourself a QUALIFIED sparkie in !

@ryancheetham, four spurs, between two outlets ? Last time I looked at the regs, it was one spur between outlets, one off an outlet, and one at the board ! Oh, and each through a 20a dp switch, off do ring ?

personally when i am wiring kitchens i fit 20A flex outlet plates behind the appliances and a 13A switch fuse above the work top this way if it blows the fuse for any reason you dont have to move the appliance just change the fuse above the worktop and i have never come across a grid switch with the fuse holder in it too i will have to look out for them

mmmm i am reading posts here and wandering why you would run spurs through a 20A dp switch ? if you are coming off a 32 A ring spur it should be fused down how can you fuse down with a 20A dp switch should it not be down to a 13A switch fuse ? and if i was running to an appliance that needed 20A i would be fitting it with its own supply just like you would the water heater

personally when i am wiring kitchens i fit 20A flex outlet plates behind the appliances and a 13A switch fuse above the work top this way if it blows the fuse for any reason you dont have to move the appliance just change the fuse above the worktop and i have never come across a grid switch with the fuse holder in it too i will have to look out for them

So you install a 20a DP switch under the worktop to each appliance and a fuses spur above the worktop for each DP switch?

Also with these fuses spurs, do you wire these in as part of the ring or as spurs from the ring?

Sorry if these are stupid questions...

@VJS, mk do a fuse holder to fit their grids. The way I did it for remote switching 'other end of the kitchen) in this case, was mk eight gang back box, top for were said fuse carriers, bottom four were 20a dp switches. Cover plate being labelled accordingly of course !

FUSES ABOVE ! Never below. Acceptable is fuse carrier and switch side by side, but never above ! Sorry, pet hate

@vj AGAIN ! Are a sparkie ? Since when have you ever seen a '13a dp grid switch' ? If you've got one, a thousand pounds of my money is coming your way ! 10a, and 20a is a standard dp grid switch !

4 switches and 4 fuses below will not look good, run a 20amp supply in 2.5mm if need be run 2 to the grid and use un switched socket outlet for appliances at low level in adjacent cupboards.

4 switches and 4 fuses below will not look good, run a 20amp supply in 2.5mm if need be run 2 to the grid and use un switched socket outlet for appliances at low level in adjacent cupboards.

You would run this as a totally separate supply from the board?! Not off of the kitchen ring?

I assumed the fusing down was implied. To be honest ive only ever done the grid switching for below counter oitlets once and found it to be alot harder work than the usual fused isolaters above worktop in line with an outlet below the worktop. And i used click grid switches which come marked up for appliances and they do the fuse carrier modules to allow for fusing down

We do work for barratts homes, moriss homes, redrow and a load of other large builders and we always put the grid switches on a seperate 20 amp supply. If there is a utility we will also run a seperate one to here also.

what could be easier a supply to a grid, link your lives and then terminate into an un switched socket, simple all switching done in the same place!

Reply to Grid switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock