Discuss Grid Tied generator system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Re:Grid tied System.
Could someone advise please on the following.
I wish to install a 3 phase (input) Grid Tied system to my home (2 - 5kw).
My problem being that I'm told that a certified (SEG) Company needs to do the installation, although I know I'm capable of carrying out this job.
Plus just getting hold of one of these companies is a non event.
Does anyone know if I as a retired sparks could do the install and get someone from SEG or equivalent to inspect and pass the works?

Thanks

Some grid tied equipment has slightly relaxed rules.
is this a solar system?

Hi James
When you say the rules are more relaxed - could you explain please.
No the system is not a solar system. im looking at using a generator when required.
At present im hoping just to install:
1/ Connection to a Smart meter from the inverter.
2/ Wind type all in one Inverter with 3phase Input.
3/ 3phase Fly lead ready for the connection of the generator.

Any further advice would be welcome.

G83 is the requirement for small scale grid tied generation and is aimed at domestic consumers/generators.

for larger (over 4kw) then G59 is the standard to adhere to.

this might help

I might not be 100% correct on this so other members may have better understanding and advice on the matter.
@Julie. is one that springs to mind.

Re:Grid tied System.
Could someone advise please on the following.
I wish to install a 3 phase (input) Grid Tied system to my home (2 - 5kw).
My problem being that I'm told that a certified (SEG) Company needs to do the installation, although I know I'm capable of carrying out this job.
Plus just getting hold of one of these companies is a non event.
Does anyone know if I as a retired sparks could do the install and get someone from SEG or equivalent to inspect and pass the works?

Thanks

Very small grid connection (sub 16A per phase) is now covered under G98.

As long as the equipment is TYPE TESTED then anyone can do the connection, as long as they are qualified (18th etc) and competent.

It's essentially the same form as used for EVCP for notification

In practical terms however, just like EVCP many manufacturers of the equipment won't sell it to you unless you have done their course etc!

If the equipment is not type tested then you must ensure compliance with G99 yourself, this means adding all the appropriate protection (ROCOF, over/under voltage & frequency etc) along with appropriate settings on the governor for droop, and then proving this in association with the utility/dno, as such this is generally reserved for larger sizes.

You would also have to update your agreement with your supplier, as by default if you take energy, you pay; but if your energy drops to zero (or below) you don't pay for consumption (but receive nothing for the infeed). You need an agreement (and potentially a meter change) in order to get paid for anything you infeed.

Hi Julie/ James
Thanks for the great info.
Will start my investigations.
Any good Suppliers of Wind type all-in-one Grid Tied Inverters you can recommend in the UK ?

Hi Julie/ James
Thanks for the great info.
Will start my investigations.
Any good Suppliers of Wind type all-in-one Grid Tied Inverters you can recommend in the UK ?

Not really my area the small sizes, but Solis, SolaX, SolarEdge, Victron and SMA are well known.

SolarEdge is the market leader in terms of optimised inverters.

SMA are probably the best known, but have an inflated price.

You do need to check with the DNO, if they apply a limit, or you want to go more than16A, then the inverter needs to be G100 compliant.

(Say you have an inverter of 10A - then the max you could generate would be 10A, - if the DNO allows up to say 15A G98 compliance is fine.

Now say you have a 20A inverter, not a problem, as you may have your site load of 6A, leaving an export of 14A - happy days, within the DNO 15A limit and the G98 limit of 16A - BUT the inverter must monitor the actual export into the system and apply a control to the inverter to limit it to this 15A - or 10A or 16A whatever limit the DNO has [max 16A anyhow] in the event the site load falls; this type of inverter must be compliant to G100)

Reply to Grid Tied generator system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock