Discuss ground floor void, securing cables. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jase31

When installing cables under a wooden ground floor, with a 2ft void (rubble filled), should the cable be secured to the underside of the joist, or can it run in the void.

should be secured to the side of the joist, clipped approx no more than 10" apart. what are apprentices for?

should be secured to the side of the joist, clipped approx no more than 10" apart. what are apprentices for?
perfect job for the apprentice!

was thinking about when running a cable perpendicular to joists (i.e same direction as floorboards). clipping to the underside is a pita with limited access. Is there a better way of securing?

Im try to avoid drilling joists if possible, some older houses look like a swiss cheese.
o
Thought about fitting a cable tray.

Could do with cable clips that hold the cable, then have a long leg (twisted at 90deg) which can be nailed to the side of the joist? maybe something for dragons den?

easy solution is to drill the joists at an angle, only a hole big enough tio take a cable tie. Then put a cable tie through the hole, and thread cables through. Not the neatest solution, but its quick and easy.

Im try to avoid drilling joists if possible, some older houses look like a swiss cheese.

The difference is, is if it's an older house the joists can be 3x thicker than modern houses, and they used ''seasoned timber'' in construction in those days, not timber that was a tree just a few weeks ago....

Reply to ground floor void, securing cables. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net