Discuss Ground Mount - Sigma System in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

adamcharvet

Hello people,

I'm installing a Sigma ground mount system for the first time, and need a little advice.

I've been told by the guys from mounting systems GMBH that we can just ram the posts in with a suitable machine - any ideas as to what i need and likely cost appreciated!

However, I've also been warned that there's a risk of bending the posts and that we'd be better off drilling out the holes with a post-hole driller, placing the posts in and then filling with postcrete (expensive but maybe quicker) or a dryish sand/cement mix.

I have the mounting system on order already so am limited to that as an option (i've read the posts about benefits of using concrete base etc and have also used Renusol tubs for smaller installation but this is 30kWp) - I'd appreciate any advice particularly with regard to which option above is the better.

Thanks

Alot depends on the ground. Any tree roots/rocks/gravel will cause differculties driving the post into the ground. Then boring the holes might best.
Getting the post straight is also hard in the above conditions.

Farmers use a simple hydraulic post driver (typically for fence posts) attached to the back of their tractor, it guides and holds the post so they go in straight and at the required andle every time.

Hi Worcester,

thanks for that - better check with the farmer if he has the right attachment and hire one if not. Perhaps a combination of drilling, filling and ramming might be the way forward. . .I guess it depends on how hard (or soft) the ground is.

Alot depends on the ground. Any tree roots/rocks/gravel will cause differculties driving the post into the ground. Then boring the holes might best.
Getting the post straight is also hard in the above conditions.

I think you will struggle with the ground being so hard - due to a distinct lack of rain! LOL

- What did the supplier / manufacturer of the mounting system say. If german, there will be available a full installation instruction manual which goes right down to torque setting for the connecting bolts as they need this for the TUV certificate. Contact the supplier and don;t accept less (we nearly always deal direct with the manifacturers in geremany so have experience of all the manulas turning up with the materials :) )

Is it Sigma I or Sigma II ?
Whichever, it should also come with / you will need a ramming shoe - a special cap that goes on the end of the ramming posts (use to use those when I did sheet piling walls... Roots don't stand a chance when you get a pile driver on it :) )

Some sound advice above...

We can supply an alternative "ballasted" ground mount system that uses aluminium framing, but does not require any excavation / ram posts, so saves installation time and cost. Will be happy to email you some details if of interest, or have a look on our web site. Thanks

Reply to Ground Mount - Sigma System in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock