Discuss Grounding advice on older property in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Stubby

-
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just been to look at a job to add a socket in a ex-mod (1960ish) domestic property. The cables are singles pulled through metal conduit in between the ground and first floor. The problem is that the sockets have no CPC conductor in the back box so I ‘assumed’ that the CPC was fed through the metal conduit. I went back to the Consumer Unit to check this and the only earth that I could see was from the gas meter to the CCU. At this point alarm bells started ringing that the property is not grounded! I then thought that it maybe a TT system but there doesn’t seem to be a ground spike anywhere around the property. Could there be an ‘internal’ spike when the house was built?
I’m surprised as the CCU has been changed and smart meters have been fitted to this property so I’m beginning to doubt myself that they spotted something that I haven’t... any help would be great as I’m starting to think that this property isn’t safe.
Thanks in advance,

Grounding advice on older property 27BFDAA5-B063-41DF-8F42-35CF3C44AF57 - EletriciansForums.net

Grounding advice on older property E3814F27-3137-492C-B822-F845050FE94D - EletriciansForums.net

Have you looked inside the consumer unit to check whether or not the conduit is connected to earth internally? I suspect the answer is no given there is a section of plastic flexible conduit linking one section to the board.

That issue aside, there doesn't appear to be any earthing present, so you're going to need to do something about that, either check with the DNO to see if PME is available or install an earth rod.

Overall, looks like you could have a bit of work there.

The steel conduit is the CPC for the circuits, the problem is that there doesn't appear to be any incoming earth or proper connection of the conduits at the CU.

a Ze measurement would have confirmed presence of earthing( or not).

Hi - perhaps get the owner to call up DNO for a safety check (SSE will do that). Then you can work out next steps, but no work on outlets at present :) .
My Sunday morning thought is perhaps historically it was TT but they've left out the up front RCD. And the rod. And the conduit continuity. If it is as it looks, then I think it's not safe. A kettle fault to earth may liven up any external conductive parts, for example.

Ex MOD property? Installation done by the lowest bidder then maintained by an even lower bidder.

Unfortunately not! I wish now that I’d undone the cover but, to be honest, I was too scared as to what I might find!!

You may have found that the conduits are adequately connected to earth (which could be verified with a Zs test) and that in fact there is an earthing conductor exiting through the rear of the board to an old earth rod somewhere in the fabric of the building (which could be verified with a Ze reading).

If in doubt, take the cover off and check it out :) If it's too scary you can always put it back on, but remember there are some things you'll wish you could unsee :)

Do you have a photo of the service head and service cable? It could be a TN-S earth which has been damaged/removed by someone. There does appear to be a little tag of something on the service cable.

Confirm with the DNO what type of earthing system they provide with this property. It could be something small as previous installer forgetting to connect the earth cable to the cut out.

Reply to Grounding advice on older property in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock