Discuss Grounding issue - getting small shocks in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sach160

DIY
Reaction score
This is proper first world problem but i hope someone can shed some light on this. I live on the sixth floor of an apartment block and have an outdoor terrace with concrete paving stones. I have put some fake grass on top with some polystone planters.

I keep getting small shocks when touching plants. It’s much worse if I wear slippers. Just wondering what the likely cause is and what can be done to improve things. No doubt it has something to do with grounding but I don’t understand how this all works. Would appreciate any advice (other than don’t touch plants :)).

Static electricity. Fake grass can generate this - we often get a shock from the dog when he has been laying on ours.

I am considering bonding the dog, but struggling to find a reference to this in the regs.

Static electricity. Fake grass can generate this - we often get a shock from the dog when he has been laying on ours.

I am considering bonding the dog, but struggling to find a reference to this in the regs.
Ah! I didn’t even think of that. You’re right. I’m guessing the grass can’t be grounded in any way as it’s plastic. I guess there’s no solving this then right?

Ah! I didn’t even think of that. You’re right. I’m guessing the grass can’t be grounded in any way as it’s plastic. I guess there’s no solving this then right?

There are ways of minimising static build up, but these are generally aimed at commercial use such as electronic assembly lines etc.

I used to always get shocks from the car door during summer weather. But I know how to stop that now - haven't had one for years.

If you water the fake grass when you water the plants, it won’t grow but it will reduce static build up.

Also, your neighbors might think you have gone a bit bonkers.

• Funny
Reactions: DPG
If you water the fake grass when you water the plants, it won’t grow but it will reduce static build up.

Also, your neighbors might think you have gone a bit bonkers.
Lol. Alas the plants are irrigated. So... irrigate the fake grass? :D

You can buy anti-static sprays that reduce the tendency for surfaces to generate static charges. I don't know how long the effects of the spray would last when exposed outdoors.

Reply to Grounding issue - getting small shocks in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net