Discuss Grounding resistence in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Am I missing something?
I ve been fighting this battle for years.
A customer keeps telling me I have to measure resistance to ground in the panel(main ground conductor), I say for consistency I need a proceedure, they come back with use the clamp meter, hanging the clamp on the ground wire. My arguement is that the clamp does not measure resistance(only the probes) so any readings they ve picked up are false.
Am I wrong?

Sounds correct to me, as far as I know you can only measure current flowing to earth under fault conditions with a clamp meter.
You really need a dedicated earth loop tester. I don't know what people use in Vancouver but here in the UK we generally have multi-function testers which include this functionality. Separate loop testers are also available.

Am I missing something?
I ve been fighting this battle for years.
A customer keeps telling me I have to measure resistance to ground in the panel(main ground conductor), I say for consistency I need a proceedure, they come back with use the clamp meter, hanging the clamp on the ground wire. My arguement is that the clamp does not measure resistance(only the probes) so any readings they ve picked up are false.
Am I wrong?
As far as reading resistance we have started using 2 ground rods to get the resistance that we need and it’s not a requirement that we actually need to measure resistance but we are looking for 23 ohms or less

Reply to Grounding resistence in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Now I understand why so many people in US have stories of computers blowing up during thunder storms. This is a pretty dumb rule for ground...
Replies
Views
I am a complete novice when it comes to electrics but I have recently bought a grounding mat and so I've been doing some measurements and I'm...
Replies
Views
Hello, I had an electrician install a 100Amp subpanel which feeds a mini split. I addition I added a Homeline 50A GFCI breaker to power a shed. I...
Replies
Views
Brian, DIY but 30-year commercial/industrial master HVAC tech. I have installed an emergency whole-house breaker switch next to my service...
Replies
Views
Can someone tell me what the resistance should be for a Solar iboost Clamp? My clamp is regestering zero ohms and I want to confirm this is the...
Replies
Views
4Dave C

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock