Discuss Grouping factor for JB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Opened an IP65 JB surface mount box today (internal conservator) 2 lighting circuits including Switch cables and radial feed from last light all coming into the box. All fitted ok and all secure with Wago connectors no strain on connections.

My question is would you need to apply grouping factor for JB is multiple cables for same circuits?

are they all 1 circuit. i.e. all off the same MCB? if so no grouping applied.

Well, yes and no. Grouping factors are determined by how much current flows in each cable, regardless of which circuit it belongs to. So, if for argument's sake you have the full current of a circuit zig-zagging up and down a bundle of cables, then the factor applies for the full number of cables even though only one circuit is involved. E.g., a 20A load on a DP switch where the cables on the supply and load side of the switch are bunched, there are two cables carrying 20A and giving off the same amount of heat as two separate 20A circuits, so require a Cg of 0.8.

OTOH, bunched cables each carrying part of the total current in one direction only, cannot carry more than the circuit rating. E.g. a 6A lighting circuit that splits into three cables each serving one area, the total on all three cables cannot exceed 6A. No matter how the current is divided between the cables, e.g. 3 x 2A, the heat dissipation will be less than when one cable carries the full 6A, therefore no factor needs to be applied.

Last edited:
Well, yes and no. Grouping factors are determined by how much current flows in each cable, regardless of which circuit it belongs to. So, if for argument's sake you have the full current of a circuit zig-zagging up and down a bundle of cables, then the factor applies for the full number of cables even though only one circuit is involved. E.g., a 20A load on a DP switch where the cables on the supply and load side of the switch are bunched, there are two cables carrying 20A and giving off the same amount of heat as two separate 20A circuits, so require a Cg of 0.8.

Now this is interesting as I thought that you went by Circuit.... Yes Table 4C1 does state "Number of circuits or multicore cables"
So you are saying that RFC's, where you have 2 cables going from the floor boards to the socket should be de-rated by 0.8 because of this?

@Jonspark Lighting circuits are a bit different to above as it depends on how much current the cable will carry. Most light in houses are LEDs so don't us a lot. As Note 9 states for Table 4C1 (page 396 BBB) "If, due to known operating conditions, a cable is expected to carry not more than 30 % of its grouped rating, it may be ignored for the purpose of obtaining the rating factor for the rest of the group."
As most houses use LED's (about 4W) then this might apply...

Now this is interesting as I thought that you went by Circuit.... Yes Table 4C1 does state "Number of circuits or multicore cables"
So you are saying that RFC's, where you have 2 cables going from the floor boards to the socket should be de-rated by 0.8 because of this?

@Jonspark Lighting circuits are a bit different to above as it depends on how much current the cable will carry. Most light in houses are LEDs so don't us a lot. As Note 9 states for Table 4C1 (page 396 BBB) "If, due to known operating conditions, a cable is expected to carry not more than 30 % of its grouped rating, it may be ignored for the purpose of obtaining the rating factor for the rest of the group."
As most houses use LED's (about 4W) then this might apply...
Great ?? did have a read of this section but it was late on and often you get a better explanation from someone who can speak plain English as you have sir thank you. The phrase “30% of its grouped rating” confused me. ?

Great ?? did have a read of this section but it was late on and often you get a better explanation from someone who can speak plain English as you have sir thank you. The phrase “30% of its grouped rating” confused me. ?

I have to use Google to find out how to spell stuff... I couldn't count on my English mate.

RFCs are a special situation because the normal principle of Ib<In<Iz is not applied. It is accepted that two legs of a ring can run together and be counted as one circuit. In theory it is possible to overload the cable but empirically it is cheesecake.

RFCs are a special situation because the normal principle of Ib<In<Iz is not applied. It is accepted that two legs of a ring can run together and be counted as one circuit. In theory it is possible to overload the cable but empirically it is cheesecake.
stop it. you'll get spoon droolong like Hooch.

Grouping factor for JB 1590750014040 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Grouping factor for JB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock