Discuss GU10 LED flicker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

EmRo

Looking for advice/pointers. I have installed client supplied GU10 LEDs in a warehouse. Client reporting flicker from LEDs. Installation is 3 phase, lights in question are on 2 different phases. Have heard and read about EMI, any help appreciated. My apologies if this issue has already been covered elsewhere.
Cheers

Stroboscopic effect? Try them on the same phase? What else is connected on the circuits, something that could interfere maybe? Never had that problem myself, but these are the things I'd investigate first!

Thanks for the ideas, will double check the connections, pretty sure they are tight but worth time to double check. Also, there are bt/cad6e cables run near, could this be an issue ?.Cheers

If the GU10 LEDs are flickering, there are few possible options, the loose connection somewhere as mentioned above.
It is possible that the LEDs are starting to fail if there were cheap electronics in them.
There could be a problem with interference from a higher power appliance switching in and out and causing either sufficient voltage drop to cause a temporary fail, or a frequency overlay that is causing problems with the GU10s
I would expect that LEDs would be more likely to cause problems on a BT / CAT6 cable than the other way around.
Check if it is specific lamps flickering (indicative of loose connection or faulty lamps) or if it is different lights flickering at different times more like from interference, so then check what other items are operating in the warehouse (or possibly next door), particularly motors or high power applications.

Hi Richard, according to client it's only the top floor of 2 storey offices that have problem. I have been around all the connections on this floor, tried different breaker and different phase, even swapped fittings from ground floor and top floor (different makes), cant afford to buy replacement LEDs tho my gut feeling is that is where the problem lies.

Sorry I was trying to use fewer words.
if there is another frequency from some other electronics being imposed on the circuit that happens to be one at which the LEDs respond.
The obvious one is the third harmonic of the main frequency but many others are possible (for example the sending of data over mains cables uses this technique, but probably not at a frequency that would affect LEDs)

If it is only the top floors is this perhaps because of voltage drop?

Hi Richard, did some moving of circuits in board and have the upper and lower lighting circuits on same breaker and I am waiting to hear from client if this has resolved problem, if not I have managed to get different LEDs to try.

Reply to GU10 LED flicker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net