Discuss Guidance on home network wiring. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any good books on the subject? Just about to move in to a house that can be best described as a project. Will be ripping the place to bits so will be looking to put in decent conduits etc. Will want some guidance on merits of Cat5/6 , HDMI, TV / satellite wiring.

Can anyone recommend any good books on the subject? Just about to move in to a house that can be best described as a project. Will be ripping the place to bits so will be looking to put in decent conduits etc. Will want some guidance on merits of Cat5/6 , HDMI, TV / satellite wiring.
May seem a daft question Alan, you mention all the TV Cat 5 etc, but do you intend a complete rewire, electrically speaking socket lights etc?

Yes Pete. Due to move in a week on Friday so will be posting some interesting wiring pics, notably a number of outbuildings fed by T&E suspended on catenary wires. Looking forward to lots of fun.

Yes Pete. Due to move in a week on Friday so will be posting some interesting wiring pics, notably a number of outbuildings fed by T&E suspended on catenary wires. Looking forward to lots of fun.
Right look forward to your pics I think

TBH mate you won't need any books, plenty of advice on the net, some good, some bad.

Depends on the amount of kit you want hardwired and what speeds you desire, also the fabric of the building may reduce your WiFi signal for mobile devices etc.

If you give us a rough idea of the building type, build materials, build date etc we can go from there.

Looks like an economy 7 set up. House is otherwise off grid. Going to need a new sewerage treatment system and some thought on heating systems. At present there is some sort of log burner / boiler set up in the kitchen that feeds a central heating / hot water circuit.

A0772D92-C04D-455A-82C1-F7D1BF4697D3.jpeg

Definitely want to hardwire for TVs, Sonos, gaming & the odd computer and possibly CCTV at some point. Want to keep Wi-fi to a minimum.

keeping the log burner is a good idea. you can burn all sorts of crap in it- ikea furniture that's fell apart, the sofa youthought wasbeatiful in DFS but now you hate it, your worn out trainers, any wood dumped in a local skip, oh. and logs of course.

As a minimum I would look at a hard point in each room. From that you can run a switch to feed multiple devices. Biggest problem with modern technology is the lack of socket outlets for devices hence the reason why everyone uses extension leads...

A central area for your incoming services is ideal but you could also hardwire back to a central hub with a switch with another CAT6 from the BT point.

For my main TV area I have four 2G socket outlets and a 2G plate with satellite, RJ45 and coax outlets. Luckily its all in the cupboard under the stairs with the Sky box, Xbox etc in a recessed shelving unit to keep it all tidy.

Don't discount WiFi as a lot more devices in the future will be wireless. A good wireless system should cover the full property including the garden. I use the Telstra phone app to map out the WiFi area and used that to fill in the dead spots with Powerline extenders. I can now use wireless devices in the garden and my garage at the bottom of it with no problems.

Good WiFi will also help with mobile phone calls as they have now managed to crack the VOIP system and integrated it with the mobile networks.

Use a broadband checker for the area as well to see your expected speeds, no good having a 1Gig network with only 56mps dial up!!! Also keep an eye out for BT Gfast as the roll out has started.

That's enough for starters.

would fitting that lot improve my mobile and TV reception?

s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg

keeping the log burner is a good idea. you can burn all sorts of crap in it- ikea furniture that's fell apart, the sofa youthought wasbeatiful in DFS but now you hate it, your worn out trainers, any wood dumped in a local skip, oh. and logs of course.
Nowt wrong with IKEA stuff!

buggers are in short supply these days. when i can get them the computer takes priority. sod emmerrroids and constipation street.
And sod strictly come prancing, Ant and Dicks throwaway wasteenders, what a load of old tosh TV has to offer these days, I'm retired and if that sheite is all they have t offer God help us.

Think I had better keep out above my pay grade
Way above my pay grade too Pete. Thats why I'm asking the questions. Half the trouble is that I want to have multiple points to hard wire in for internet connection but then theres all the other stuff you can do with home entertainment etc.

If you run 4xcat5e, 1x shotgun and 1 single coax to every tv position back to a central position then you are pretty future proof for whatever you want to install. 5 sat grade coax to dish position and 2 cat 5 low level external (if there is ever the chance of having virgin media).

If you want to hide sky boxes then think about positions and run a hdmi and IR extender to the TV.

If it's all back to a central position you've got the choice of installing a entertainment hub, hdmi matrix etc

Last edited:
If you run 4xcat5e, 1x shotgun and 1 single coax to every tv position back to a central position then you are pretty future proof for whatever you want to install. 5 sat grade coax to dish position and 2 cat 5 low level external (if there is ever the chance of having virgin media).

If you want to hide sky boxes then think about positions and run a hdmi and IR extender to the TV.

If it's all back to a central position you've got the choice of installing a entertainment hub, hdmi matrix etc

Surely you mean Cat 6
CAT 5/6 vs satelite cables - https://www.avforums.com/threads/cat-5-6-vs-satelite-cables.2097207/#post-24967376

:rolleyes: Told you they were geeky!

Reply to Guidance on home network wiring. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net