Discuss Guidance on home network wiring. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

the audio side is simple. big f*ck off sound system in living room.Pink Floyd on endless loop, leave the doors open.

When I did our refurb, where ever we wanted a TV, I ran 2 x satellite grade coax, 1 phone line and 1 x CAT5. Our BT line comes into a cupboard by our front door - 1 then ran a single CAT 5 into the loft above the cupboard where I planned to fit the switch - then I ran all the other points back to this - we now have 12 points around the house, plus a backup device attached to said switch.

With CAT5 you need to consider where the incoming broadband is, and where you want to place the switch.

The loft houses all the coax cables - only 8 points are currently connected and this can handle multiple inputs too.

Wifi, is there for the mobile devices.....

If you do something similar, I would recommend 47mm deep back boxes......

Best start writing a spec for each and every room and take it from there...

what about this type of socket
WiFi Connekt 13A 2-Gang Switched Socket with Ethernet + 2.0A USB Starter Kit - https://www.screwflix..com/p/wifi-connekt-13a-2-gang-switched-socket-with-ethernet-2-0a-usb-starter-kit/1571t#_=p
if you are short of space and don't want to use powerline adaptors
I've not used them so cant comment
If they don't work you can always charge yer phone via the usb whilst using it as a hotspot for wifi ..

Network wise decide where you want to equipment to be located, router NAS etc etc then cascade down the house from there, mine is in the loft and I also have a patch panel under the stairs to switch things over if need be.

Thanks for the heads up. Issue at the moment is where to locate any sort of switch Hub. I’m assuming that any wall plates will need deep back boxes.

Thanks for the heads up. Issue at the moment is where to locate any sort of switch Hub. I’m assuming that any wall plates will need deep back boxes.
With back boxes go as deep as you can. Idea being you can coil a little bit extra cable in there so you have scope to easily re-terminate if required or simply want to swap the fronts.

When I say a little extra 300mm or so wouldn't go amiss, especially when try to do the punch downs on the back you have more room.

I’m going to try and get some decent size trunking into the walls. Are there any cable support issues running under floor boards as I see that could be a good area to hide a bit of slack?

Reply to Guidance on home network wiring. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock