Discuss guidance on this one in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hiya lads
looking for a bit of guidance on this one I was asked to look at a controls issue in a nursing home and don't know what to make of this one.

on one of the doors of the BMS control panel there is a fire gas solenoid control panel and a boiler sequencer panel. These are wired in butyl flex through small holes in a bakelite / paxolin panel on the front (showing my age here ) the holes are well within IP ratings and the cables are supported on both sides are grommets or glands req as not going through a metal panel.

I remember using bakelite / paxoiln between the metal of dist boards and trunking to stop cable damage.

I'm using a Mac I tried the normal copy and paste from my pics

The installation was done by a mate and I had to get things working as he is not sure of controls. I also had to install time delays on the contractor control circuits for the immersions on the 3 calorifiers to allow 1 min between each one turning on to prevent all 6 of the 9kw 3 phase immersions coming on at the same time.
he was picked up by an other electrician as he said there should be grommets.

If this is constructed how I think it is, I'd say the common issues would be inadequate IP rating around terminal entries and basic insulation only on exposed cables. As for the need to protect cables where they pass through the paxolin, if the holes are chamfered I'd say it was fine, there's no risk of damage. If they have sharp edges it's not so great but provided the panel is static the cables are unlikely to chafe against them.

One of my old mentors used to build a lot of assemblies on metal panels with a separate grommeted hole for every cable, but he was superfast at sheet metal. He'd start with a plain sheet of steel, you would hear the clunk, clunk, clunk of the guillotine, chonk chonk chonk of the press brake doing holes and louvres, a bit of grumbling and cursing doing the bending, the whirr of the nibbler, more chonk chonk chonk riveting and before you knew it the compressor had kicked in as he sprayed the primer. If people watched too closely over his shoulder he'd start filing the screwholes into hexagons until they went away.

Yes that really is my name and it has caused a few laughs and problems over the years like when I first passed my driving test and applied for my full licence it got suspended for 2 weeks due to a clerical error /security issue. not funny to a 17yo unable to use his car (mates found it hilarious ). Or I did 23 years as a special constable and when organising the police presence at an orange walk in Kirkcaldy they had me at the front (Martin mc guinness and Alan chapel at the back. Somone had a sense of humour luckily the music was loud and they couldn't here the radio messages.

we digress here a bit don't we
to sum up the question butyl flex 8mm diameter going through 9mm hole in paxolin type material so no IP issue supported on both sides (one side with sticky tabs and cable ties and other side cable grips in controls)
looking for reg no to check out and use to either do a remedial on it or tell other spark to (book of genesis 1:1-31 )

There are 3 x 150kw high efficiency Worcester gas boilers supplying the heating and hot water. The immersions are a back up basically 2 in each calorifier but I time delayed them in a sequence to prevent 54kw load coming on at once.
Martin mcguniess? As in our old deputy first minister? Could be doing with you back from the dead Martin the whole place has got itself into a mess
he would be turning in his grave (namesake in the police)

There are 3 x 150kw high efficiency Worcester gas boilers supplying the heating and hot water. The immersions are a back up basically 2 in each calorifier but I time delayed them in a sequence to prevent 54kw load coming on at once.

he would be turning in his grave (namesake in the police)
You could fill his boots no problem no one here could run a brothel I could probably seize power myself and do a better job

Panel wiring doesn't really come under the remit of 7671 though does it?

Reply to guidance on this one in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net