Discuss Guilible older people in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You must have seen the case of a piece of filth who charged some poor OAP out of £74K for replacing a damaged tile on the roof of his/her house, a complete scrote and nonperson imo.
In my recent capacity of a Charity Handy person, I was aske to help an old infirm Lady to repair a damage curtain track, one visit confirmed that She needed a replacement.
Now the Charity I volunteer for have rules that I have to react to, one of which it is down to the person in question to locate and purchase a replacement item, I went out of my way to find out where to get this part, but could not, for whatever reason, actually buy it for Her, it was a well known home store, and some (her words not mine) spotty 14 year old lookalike sold her a totaly inappropriate replacement, why is it I ask myself, that some retail establishments employ cretins allowed to advise the vunerable, is it a case of screw what you can out of these poor people, or a case of very poor judgement, sorry for the rant, but this volunteering jod has certainly opened my eyes to the way we treat older people, and I'm 72 nearly.

I agree, I’ve got upmost respect for elderly people. Don’t get me wrong, there are some rotters, just mean, amongst the elderly and I know having worked 15 years care of the elderly nursing. Anyone who went through wartime and hard times then to be going through all the rubbish that modern times has handed us, my hat is off to them and we should help where we can.
Well done Pete for your voluntary work, my hat is still off.

This kid at the well known home store was just doing his job as far as his manager would see it.

Old lady comes in, wants this bit because the guy from the charity said she needed it...
"No, ma'am, you don't want that bit. It's old style. Come and have a look at these shiny new bits we have. They're much better and will last much longer"

I can hear him now.

"Oh, and by the way, nice old lady, while you're here... why don't you get some cable, a couple of sockets and install them in your bathroom so you can listen to the radio in there.
No, no... don't worry about getting one of those electrician people in. They'll only try and rip you off, giving some speil about regulations and whatnot"

It's does make most people, very angry how these criminals steal from vulnerable people. In the recent case of the 78 year old who was burgled, resulting in one of the offenders loosing his life.

Not commenting on the case per say, but the deceased have been reported as saying ' The Henry I know, he was such a loving person, and it's probably something which just went wrong but he shouldn't have died out of it'. Allegedly his has a long list of criminal convictions, of similar offences. Now of course, nobody deserves to die, but if you live by the sword, you can die by the sword.

To be fare Pete, my local shed has a lot of stores persons in their autumn years. They also have more younger staff, and with their little knowledge, they try their best. Its down to the management and the training they provide IMO.

My In-Laws (now departed) were very gullible and trusting of people. I don't know what happens, but it seems as you get older, you loose your mistrust or suspicions of people.

You don't have to be old to be sold stuff that is way overpriced. My bro went to a well known computer shop, to get a HDMI lead. They sold him one for £85. Luckily his missus had her head screwed on and took it back to the shop and gave them a bit of a talking to.

I agree, I’ve got upmost respect for elderly people. Don’t get me wrong, there are some rotters, just mean, amongst the elderly and I know having worked 15 years care of the elderly nursing. Anyone who went through wartime and hard times then to be going through all the rubbish that modern times has handed us, my hat is off to them and we should help where we can.
Well done Pete for your voluntary work, my hat is still off.
Thanks

My mum is 77 and has dementia. I have spent hours sorting out unnecessary warranties for white goods she's signed up for, numerous orders for chairs for people with bad backs, three lots of double glazing for her conservatory, direct debits for charities etc etc.

There's a list of names and contact details out there for vulnerable people for parasites to prey on. I've ended up getting her mail redirected to mine and I've changed her landline number.

Old people are now seen as targets and are rarely respected.

It's does make most people, very angry how these criminals steal from vulnerable people. In the recent case of the 78 year old who was burgled, resulting in one of the offenders loosing his life.

Not commenting on the case per say, but the deceased have been reported as saying ' The Henry I know, he was such a loving person, and it's probably something which just went wrong but he shouldn't have died out of it'. Allegedly his has a long list of criminal convictions, of similar offences.
Now of course, nobody deserves to die, but if you live by the sword, you can die by the sword.

To be fare Pete, my local shed has a lot of stores persons in their autumn years. They also have more younger staff, and with their little knowledge, they try their best. Its down to the management and the training they provide IMO.

My In-Laws (now departed) were very gullible and trusting of people. I don't know what happens, but it seems as you get older, you loose your mistrust or suspicions of people.

He has been released today - no charge to answer,coroners inquest to follow :)

I have a particular reason to be interested in such incidents,and was very pleased to hear the facts have been ascertained so quickly.

While recovering from my 2008 business losses I worked as delivery driver for a well known courier company. We had several elderly people on our lists for whom we had to automatically return goods to the sender. It turns out that the computer age is not necessarily good for everyone. They sat ordering thousands of pounds worth of gear not even caring if they could afford it. :eek:

i cant stand creeps who prey on the elderly my hats off to you guys who keep an eye out for them.
our community has a volunteer service that frequently check up on our elder neighbors and their timely intervention has saved many of them from ending up at the undertakers!

I don't know what happens, but it seems as you get older, you loose your mistrust or suspicions of people.

Well, it happens to me, too, even though I am still way far from elderly (I am 27 by now), but I notice that I am becoming more and more trusting compared to when I was 15. It's because when I was 23 I stopped seeing people using Black and White Morality, thus I can see good in bad people and see bad in good people.

Wait until you go to the post office now, as the counter clerk will try to sell a hat of services like "life insurance" I just tell them I am a miserable bugger with no friends or family and am going to spend my money on coke and hookers, I also mention the fact that I own a double glazing company and would they like a quote.............

Billions have been stripped from the elderly via boiler room investment scams. Must admit this taken along with so called legitimate financial products makes me very sceptical about finance and top level business. Very fine lines between sharp business and fraud. Look at the scumbag company directors that plunder their employee pension funds!

I hate and detest people like this my Mum years back had £400 and her passport stolen by some Nigerian pick pocket who down neat to her on a park bench when she stopped for a rest, absolute scum bags.

Reply to Guilible older people in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock