Discuss Gutter catching the rain water question in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dansk

-
Reaction score
Whats the minimum distance would you say an array can be to the gutter in order for the gutter to catch the rain water of the panels.

Ive measured up a job, customers wants to fill the roof, but im worried about the rain water overshooting the gutter.

i would mate, but i need to know before i go steaming ahead and tell the customer he can fit 4kwp on the roof. Once ive got the job its a bit late - i dont want any future hassle.

can you not build a little rig out of anything, and pour loads of water on it. this will be far in excess of actual rainfall. then you will have an accurate understanding of the problem. im not a PV installer by the way., but used to build water features, so i understand flowing water lol

will this info not be determined by the distance from the roof to the top of your panel? ie, the higher your panel , then the further the water will shoot. this is why i suggested that you build a little rig on the ground, and give it a shot.

I wouldn't go any less than 200mm but I suppose it's a judgement call depending on the tile type, roof pitch and gutter profile.

Why not suggest the risks to the customer and let him make his own mind up?

Cheers - Yeah i have done and even marked it on the layout plan i supplied with the quote - but you know how it is - customer over excited about the panels, over looks the issue as being a minor one, then one evening when its pouring down as there sat watching TV with a nice glass of red the drip drop of the water missing will lead to a phone call to me wont it!

If you get anything like the rain we do here, I'd aim for 450mm as a standard.

Though of course roof slope, number of panels in a column etc both count. 200mm from the edge of a 50 degree slope is a big difference from 200mm from the edge of a 25 degree slope.

Also the close you go to the edge the more wind uplift you have to allow for which means more fixing brackets. (You've done those calcs as well haven't you?)

@dansk, I do hope you're winding me up :)

Reply to Gutter catching the rain water question in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock