Discuss Had a PIR done on my house today, Can ne 1 beat this Guy 1hr 10mins and gone? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mattmoo1974

Lol he came in his test sheet was half filled in, Every thing was >200 Meg Ohms.
I asked how many he did a day he said 3-4. asked how much his company charge he said "You wont get much more the 80-90 quid for a PIR these days"
i live in a 3 bed house. He did in fairness put some g@y sleeving on some bare Cpc's.
1 light SWT came off 1 Double socket.

Lol he came in his test sheet was half filled in, Every thing was >200 Meg Ohms.
I asked how many he did a day he said 3-4. asked how much his company charge he said "You wont get much more the 80-90 quid for a PIR these days"
i live in a 3 bed house. He did in fairness put some g@y sleeving on some bare Cpc's.
1 light SWT came off 1 Double socket.

Was this a council job?

What tests did he actually do then?

How the hell can you do a PIR witout any IR tests?!?!?!?!?!

There is only one test that shows the quality and age of a wiring system and he didn't do it, it's just theft and fraud!!!!!

Housing Assosiation
Did Rcd trip times on cooker/up and down ring and upstairs lights. Oh and he did rN r1 r2 downstairs ring. I basicly think he did 90 quids worth :S

Last edited by a moderator:
i would ask the housing --- to arrange for a full pir to be carried out as you are not happy that one has been done as it should have been

Iv tested my house about 10 times in prep for my 2391 practical mate. Its just a joke what people will do and get away with.
Thing is i had a brand new Board fitted when i moved in, In august(crabtree all Rccbo's).
I got sent a letter saying they would be out, I then rang the company and told them about it being new.
The lady said it had to be done and should only take 30 mins to 1hr halfs hours. I thought she was just being dizzy and didnt have a clue about it all.

Regardless of whether you test the house etc etc. This bloke is going to other houses and saying they are fine when he has no idea if they are or not. There's taking shortcuts, there's cutting corners and there's just taking the mic. This bloke should be reported and shouldn't be doing any work of this manner.

I wouldn't mind £400 a day for doing jack, but unfortunately I don't think I could square it with my conscience.

I believe TonyS was offered a similar deal on PIR's but had the good grace to politely decline the offer!

How can you sleep doing that? Palpitations at the mere mention of a house fire...

There are many engineers and i mean MANY, that will happily do 3 or 4 pir's a day, everyday. I was asked to do the very same and refused, on the grounds that to do a test properly it is physically impossable doing 4 in one day, i was on the books then and nothing more was said because they knew deep down i was right. I think if the **** hit the fan by that i mean a dangerous fault missed then the company would have to take the responsability for the mistake, not 100% on this but im fairly sure. Mayb thats how they slept at night............

Wev'e had the great pat testing scam....guess it was only a matter of time before PIR's started to go the same way......stick a label on the CU...off to the next one. All you need is a van full of labels:rolleyes:

surely the responsibility of the tester is to test the bloody installation. i couldnt sleep at night if i were doing 4 pirs a day lol. the possibility for major oversights is huge, and my name would be on the test sheet, no way.

I believe TonyS was offered a similar deal on PIR's but had the good grace to politely decline the offer!

How can you sleep doing that? Palpitations at the mere mention of a house fire...

Started off at £33.70 and then went up to £35.00 when I said "yer right". Good Money Ill say ha ha. Anyway that was through an Agency and I believe the company who were laying them on, may be in the jobs section on this site?

£125.00 - £150.00 is roughly what Local Authorities allow on decent homes projects. I worked on decent homes project for roughly 6 years for a Local Authority with an housing stock of roughly 9000. I knew the in and outs of the prices.

The work I done was direct to the Local Authority so once my mate took a little lump for the business there still a few quid left for me the other sparks and I would get extra because I was the fullscope Q.S.

A lot of money to be made on these projects if your first in line.

mickeytuff - when you say 'engineers' what do you mean? You have to have a minimum HNC qualification to be entitled to call yourself an Incorporated Engineer and Degree level for Chartered Engineer. There are too many peeps calling themselves 'Engineers' without the legal right to do so.

Sorry, rant over!

While a full PIR on a 3 bed property in 1 hour 10mins is simply not possible that is not to say that a useful inspection and test could not be carried out in that time. I reckon in that time (on an average 3 bed semi with no sheds etc) I could verify and test the main earth ,verify main bonding,check circuit protection devices were adequate and carry out a sample Zs test on each of the final circuits to verify disconnection times.I could also have a scout round for broken/damaged accessories.......but that would be it.
That would still be a very useful inspection and better than nothing at all.....as long as it was described as such.....but if it is described as a full PIR that is a joke...we all know how long these take to do thoroughly....I couldnt sleep at night either.

My mistake "Electricians" not engineers (just slapped my hand).......ow that hurt

Theres no "e" in mickytuff :p:p

If the company charges £80 - £90 then I bet they slice and dice and leave about £35 for the tester. 4 x £35 = £140, wonder if that was my job :D:D:D

Just glad I'm back into commercial/industrial work, domestic work is bad news and all but finished imo.

on a standard 3 bed , bathroom , kitchen , lounge , it takes me 3 hours and i charge £95 ,you cant do it in 10 mins !!!! you are checking its condition you have to remove sockets and switches ... Do an R1R2 on a ring ye im sure he has , you have to count the sockets and switches , ill have to walk round and go mmm looks ok to me that'll be £95 thank you very much i think not , where the hell has the pride gone in the trade (excluding the guys on here mind ) OoOoooooooOoooo makes my blood boil well thinking about it at least i sleep well at night its so easy to miss things if you rush , even i may but its done to the best of my ability 4 a day my rear !!!

its the future......... people just walking in and sticking stickers for money. I listened last week to a boiler fitter .The money councils paid them to fit a boiler was PATHETIC. they had to do exchange 3 a day to even make £90 each !!!! i just wonder how many corners are cut at those speeds?

Its all down to the bone in the Public sector ..Give me private all day long .

And the guy was self employed !! think what he earns in a week . Everyone should pull away and let the public sector grind to a stop. demand better wages and a better code of practice .

I might do PIR'S and tell the customers they need to stay out all day because they will be in the way when I'm working, then nip in and a put a sticker on lol

Reply to Had a PIR done on my house today, Can ne 1 beat this Guy 1hr 10mins and gone? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net