Discuss Hager J803 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gigsy

-
Reaction score
It says on the manufacturers website that you can connect 4 cables using the J803. In the lid it says you can put two, 1mm2 wires per hole. Does this mean you can connect up to 8, 1mm2 cables?

Also do you have to turn the cable grip around if you are only securing one cable by the grip?

Each hole in the push in terminals can only take one core, this limits the number of cores of the same type to four (two each side of each terminal)

The junction box has the space to be able to allow two cables into each entry point at the edges of the junction box.

The cord grip should hold the cable firmly (I think 5N is the required force to withstand) so it is best to have the thicker edge down against the cable for one 1.0mm² T&E cable.

Each hole in the push in terminals can only take one core, this limits the number of cores of the same type to four (two each side of each terminal)

The junction box has the space to be able to allow two cables into each entry point at the edges of the junction box.

The cord grip should hold the cable firmly (I think 5N is the required force to withstand) so it is best to have the thicker edge down against the cable for one 1.0mm² T&E cable.

Thank you, Hold on I will go get one from my van and take a picture of the inside of the lid. I am sure is says you can put two 1mm2 cores in one hole

can you see on the right, it shows a symbol of the button being pushed in and it says

1 x 4.0,
2x1.0, 1.5mm

Picture 13.jpg

Picture 14.jpg

Picture 15.jpg

That instruction is advising you on the question you asked about the cable clamp.
If you look above the writing the cable clamp is upward with the most space, this is for a single 4mm² or for two 1.0mm² or 1.5mm² T&E cables.
The picture to the left shows the cable clamp the other way up and this is suitable for a single 1.0mm², 1.5mm² or 2.5mm² T&E cable.

That instruction is advising you on the question you asked about the cable clamp.
If you look above the writing the cable clamp is upward with the most space, this is for a single 4mm² or for two 1.0mm² or 1.5mm² T&E cables.
The picture to the left shows the cable clamp the other way up and this is suitable for a single 1.0mm², 1.5mm² or 2.5mm² T&E cable.
I see, thank you :)

Looks more like the cord grips and the number of cables allowed in each grip to me

From the hager guide to junction boxes (page 10) one of the sentences is this:
"Hager maintenance free terminals have the additional advantages of allowing the direct insertion of solid, stranded or flexible conductors, and allowing the connection of up to four conductors from 0.5mm2 to 4.0mm2"

I put the bold in.

Why would you need to put more than one cable in one grip if you can only join 4 cables?

I want to connect 6 downlights, I hate looping them because downlights do not give you enough space to grip 2 cables. If they push in the holes on the 803 and do not pull out, can I just use one hole for 2 cores?

Why would you need to put more than one cable in one grip if you can only join 4 cables?
If the cables all come in from one side because of restricted space.

I want to connect 6 downlights, I hate looping them because downlights do not give you enough space to grip 2 cables. If they push in the holes on the 803 and do not pull out, can I just use one hole for 2 cores?
No the cable will not be held securely and may well cause fire due to a poor connection. The terminal is not designed to receive more than one core.

Are you using crappy GU10's as I've never had that issue with LED's, even cheap LED's?

Some do and some don't. Do you have a particular brand your looking at using? You should look at changing your brand to something that is compatible with looping in and out at the terminals like Ansell icage

Ansell Lighting - http://icage.co.uk/

Failing that If its hard work getting two cables within the downlight terminal/enclosure flex them up and use something like

Click 250V 20A Pull Apart Flow Connector (CT101C) - https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/250v-20a-pull-apart-flow-connector.html?utm_source=google_shopping

http://www.hylec-apl.com/Emech-Term...Mount-Terminal-Connection-Boxes/DEBOX_SL.html

https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/16a-downlighter-junction-box-j501.html?utm_source=google_shopping

Thread closed due to another similar thread being started by same op.

Reply to Hager J803 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net