Discuss Hair Salon Backwash shower unit. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

weston29

Evening Chaps,

Been asked to look at a job for a customer in a hair salon. Wants a back wash unit fitting in the rear of the shop, cable run is easy enough and the consumer unit would accomodate it with a spare way being facilitated (RCD protected unit). Never done one before and was wondering if anyone knows if these units are purpose built or is it fit a standard domestic shower??? With it being in a salon, I can see it getting hammered and shortning the life span of the unit itself and also the cable over time. Worried about voiding the warranty of a domestic shower being used in a comercial premises as well?? Any ideas??:confused5::confused5::confused5:

I used to use a commercial salon unit called allfow they had a good spares/service backup. Dont know if they still trade. Triton do a pro model as well three wires in, supplementary bonding advice would best come from a UK based member.

Last edited by a moderator:
When i used to work for a company years ago i was sent several times to a Hair salon to change 8.5 kw domestic type shower unit that they used for hair washing. If i remember correctly they used Wickes own which were Triton ones rebranded. They always kept one or two spare units and took them back under warranty as the design had been the same for ages. If you're doing the plumbing then make sure it has a ballafix valve with a flexible hose on to aid changing units in the future. Bit naughty using the warranty like this but a unit would last 18 months plus.

I've never heard of a back wash unit, the hairdressers where I am only do the hair on your head unfortunately.

I know this is an old thread.. After your opinions

Hair salon with a row of back wash units, the chairs are "massage chairs" with individual remote controls for each chair.. Each chair has a standard double socket on a pattress on the floor under the base of the back wash sink..

If I shine my torch down the gaps in the chair I can just see the socket.. But there is no access to this socket..

My observations were..

No access to socket outlets
No local isolation for each chair unit
No RCD for socket outlets

It looks like 4 x outlets 1 under each unit on a 32a MCB
evejuquz.jpg

Your thoughts on coding.. C2's?

no access to socket - the danger ? no code
no isolation on each chair ? do the manufacturers require it ? not likely , and i bet the CU is not far away , no code.
no rcd - C3

how are the chairs connected to the mains ? skt ? spur ? jb ?
ive never seen an electric heated massage chair with a rotary isolator bolted to the chair arm lol.

You know how the yanks love irony,for sure someone HAS to do their equivalent of an EICR on that baby,a C what? covers that scenario...

What about the fact I can't inspect or test the circuit. Can't access the socket outlets, you can't even unplug the plug top, even if you wanted to. Can't get R1+R2 (unless calculated), IR would have to be LN to earth.. Being as you can't disconnect the load

I do all the repairs in a local hairdressers, used to constantly go to burnt out isolators when wiring was on 6mm t&e, as the showers are on constantly, upgraded her to 10mm and had no probs, also used to change the showers a lot until I fit the new heatstore digital from cef ltd, it flushes the heat exchanger out with cold water everytime it turns off, the problem being with normal showers, it has hot water in the heat exchanger when you turn it off, in a domestic situation this is not a problem as it cools, but in a salon its turned back on within mins and trips the thermal stat as the water can be heated to nearly boiling point! so make sure you fit a shower that flushes itself!

At home I always leave my shower on cold for a bit, not for the sake of the heat exchanger, just to use all the hot water because of tight-fistedness!

So no one see's having no local isolation for an appliance a problem??

I must be on my own on this one.. So if this was a kitchen and there were no way to isolate any of the appliances (apart from going to switch the MCB) then would this be ok?? You would just give it a C3?

pretty much , yes.
my interpretation is that isolation only needs to be local if the equipment can cause harm from its operation , such as a conveyor belt , or hydraulic press , etc ,etc.
and bs7671 allows mcbs to be used as isolation.
just because every tom , dick and harry likes to fill their kitchen with pointless appliance switches doesnt mean the regs actually insist on it.
;-)

Reply to Hair Salon Backwash shower unit. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net