Discuss Halle-flippin-luyah...the AVO835 is on route... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,i take it yours has the rubber case with clip-ins,at the rear?

Mine does not have these,as it is a lump of a thing,to start with,and that facility adds further depth :)

I would very rarely do the wrapping thing,as in the past,a drop,scuff or impact,in that state,always means the leads cop for it.

I have not owned a large range of Fluke equipment,but used it enough. They have some excellent extras,but as always,some could be improved or be cheaper.

Their magnetic hanger looked useful,but on inspection,seemed expensive. I chose to make my own,using some webbing,and an incredibly powerful little rubber covered magnet,i obtained,from the cable containment gear,on off-shore wind turbine towers;)

I can almost dangle meself,off it...so probably overkill :cool:

I wrap them just for that very purpose. I'd rather replace a set of 10 - 30 quid leads than a meter.

However my 119 has been thoroughly abused, dropped, taken in the rain, out in quarries, dusty, hot, freezing environments.

Doesn't look as pretty anymore, still works and passes calibration every quarter still. I should maybe treat myself to a shiny new one for the workshop. Keep getting tempted.

Hey,Rob,mine does have recesses for probes,in the back...didn't even see them!

They are tight,i suppose due to allowance for the rubber softening. Still lovin'it :)

Right...wet Monday,here,so bit of an update,regarding the two kids (meters)

Firstly,the one that went back to the maternity clinic...the AVO835. I have to admit,to being very disappointed with this yoke...having waited for it's eventual release,some 24 months,it was evident why there was probably such a delay.

I believe the design and build quality,to be lower than required,and this has maybe contributed to a lack of reliability,which would explain the repeated failure to stick to a stated release date.

Basically,on certain range settings,the meter would glitch out of it's setting,at random. It could be switched back in and out,by a gentle press on the front panel,or squeezing. I made a video of this occurring,and it was easily repeatable.

The meter came with the usual test/calibration certs,so,it was either not tried,or failed on it's journey to me,in a very comfy box,so not confidence inspiring...

The other option,would be,that it just wasn't made correctly...either just that one...or all of them,again,not good.

There was no dispute with my return of the device,or reason,so not the end of the world,just a black mark in a copy-book.

So,the second baby, Fluke 28ii,was delivered,and has been potty trained and fed,in order to give an opinion.

Fantastic bit of kit :) used it as much as possible,to test all it's functions...even used the temp probe,to check core temp of a steak,while away camping ;) love it,and definitely glad i chose it,over other devices.

Just a final note...my 11 year old noted it was "a bit of a lump..." so,i had to explain that the first mobile phone,his dad owned,weighed 4 times as much,and was twice the size o_O ...i'm still not 100% sure,he believes me!

Right...wet Monday,here,so bit of an update,regarding the two kids (meters)

Firstly,the one that went back to the maternity clinic...the AVO835. I have to admit,to being very disappointed with this yoke...having waited for it's eventual release,some 24 months,it was evident why there was probably such a delay.

I believe the design and build quality,to be lower than required,and this has maybe contributed to a lack of reliability,which would explain the repeated failure to stick to a stated release date.

Basically,on certain range settings,the meter would glitch out of it's setting,at random. It could be switched back in and out,by a gentle press on the front panel,or squeezing. I made a video of this occurring,and it was easily repeatable.

The meter came with the usual test/calibration certs,so,it was either not tried,or failed on it's journey to me,in a very comfy box,so not confidence inspiring...

The other option,would be,that it just wasn't made correctly...either just that one...or all of them,again,not good.

There was no dispute with my return of the device,or reason,so not the end of the world,just a black mark in a copy-book.

So,the second baby, Fluke 28ii,was delivered,and has been potty trained and fed,in order to give an opinion.

Fantastic bit of kit :) used it as much as possible,to test all it's functions...even used the temp probe,to check core temp of a steak,while away camping ;) love it,and definitely glad i chose it,over other devices.

Just a final note...my 11 year old noted it was "a bit of a lump..." so,i had to explain that the first mobile phone,his dad owned,weighed 4 times as much,and was twice the size o_O ...i'm still not 100% sure,he believes me!
well show him this.it was my first mobile phone. was just a bit smaller than a house brick.
Halle-flippin-luyah...the AVO835 is on route... 1568022960525 - EletriciansForums.net

The only negative feedback I have read regarding the Fluke range of multi meters is regarding the LCD screen failing or going dim. Only on certain models and only ones produced outside of the USA.

Some are being produced in China,Taiwan, Japan, somewhere, I can't remember. They use a different brand of LCD screen to put in the meters as opposed to the ones made in the USA.

Would be interesting to know if this Fluke 28ii has anything on it to work out where it was manufactured.

well show him this.it was my first mobile phone. was just a bit smaller than a house brick.
View attachment 52011
That's mobile.....mine was only transportable...and it's monthly bill was 5 times my present one,which is probably another five-fold less,due to inflation?
[automerge]1568039351[/automerge]
The only negative feedback I have read regarding the Fluke range of multi meters is regarding the LCD screen failing or going dim. Only on certain models and only ones produced outside of the USA.

Some are being produced in China,Taiwan, Japan, somewhere, I can't remember. They use a different brand of LCD screen to put in the meters as opposed to the ones made in the USA.

Would be interesting to know if this Fluke 28ii has anything on it to work out where it was manufactured.
I will try to find out,but stamped "made in" usually means some/part/none?

Last edited:
@PEG interesting comments re build quality with Megger. My AVO has been fine and dandy but we recently bought another 1741 MFT and the top and bottom hadn’t been fixed to each other. On picking it up it came out of it’s bottom section revealing the guts of the machine. Like your experience Megger took it back via the wholesalers no questions asked but it makes me wonder if there are quality control issues with some things; or did we both just get Friday afternoon builds! ?

My first mobile phone...actually a car phone...got a second wiring loom for it and used it on my boat...
until a few years later folks were using smoke-packet sized things. That was when i realised analog was dead!

Hi,had a check,and it states "US" and on the back case,"Assembled in the US of US and Foreign Components"

To be honest,it's never bothered me where,just how. Design-Materials-QC ...always in that order...they just have to stack up,and remain reliable,in the real world.

Sadly,there are less and less things,which meet that criteria ;)

Hi,had a check,and it states "US" and on the back case,"Assembled in the US of US and Foreign Components"

To be honest,it's never bothered me where,just how. Design-Materials-QC ...always in that order...they just have to stack up,and remain reliable,in the real world.

Sadly,there are less and less things,which meet that criteria ;)

If it has US on the back, you're golden.

Reply to Halle-flippin-luyah...the AVO835 is on route... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock