Discuss Hanging a "flush mount" light by a chain? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dogbob

DIY
Reaction score
I have a light fixture that is intended to be flush mounted to a ceiling box. I would like to hang it from a chain so it is 2 feet down from the ceiling. Here's a photo of the fixture mounting plate and wires. (USA mainland, ETL/UL standards). Is there a correct way to do this, such as a standard kit of parts, or would it be considered an unapproved modification?

Thank you for your advice.

bottom.jpg

If it is flush mount, then flush mount it to a piece of metal or wood that is suspended from a chain?

I have a light fixture that is intended to be flush mounted to a ceiling box. I would like to hang it from a chain so it is 2 feet down from the ceiling. Here's a photo of the fixture mounting plate and wires. (USA mainland, ETL/UL standards). Is there a correct way to do this, such as a standard kit of parts, or would it be considered an unapproved modification?

Thank you for your advice.

View attachment 103383
The base of the light looks like it will be surface mounted and fastened to a box in the ceiling. No wire splicing can be exposed. The top part that’s inside the base is what hooks to the box.

Megawatt, Thanks. That's certainly how the manufacturer intended it. But that's not what I want to do. Perhaps you're telling me politely to do it right and I'm too thick to understand. :)

I'm thinking of doing something like shown in the sketch below. It would require connecting two boxes together with something like lamp cord and hanging a box (4x4 octagonal or round?) from a chain rather than recessing it into the ceiling. I'd also run a ground wire between the boxes (not shown in the sketch.) This is how I see many lighting fixtures installed, but those are fixtures that are intended for chain mounting. My fixture is intended for flush mounting.

Could this cause an inspector/AHJ to complain or cause an insurance company to void coverage? Is there a right way to do this?
Lamp.jpg

Megawatt, Thanks. That's certainly how the manufacturer intended it. But that's not what I want to do. Perhaps you're telling me politely to do it right and I'm too thick to understand. :)

I'm thinking of doing something like shown in the sketch below. It would require connecting two boxes together with something like lamp cord and hanging a box (4x4 octagonal or round?) from a chain rather than recessing it into the ceiling. I'd also run a ground wire between the boxes (not shown in the sketch.) This is how I see many lighting fixtures installed, but those are fixtures that are intended for chain mounting. My fixture is intended for flush mounting.

Could this cause an inspector/AHJ to complain or cause an insurance company to void coverage? Is there a right way to do this?
View attachment 103423
That will work just buy you a piece of # 14 awg 2 conductors and ground SO cord or actual light fixture wire and loop it through the chain like your picture.

Reply to Hanging a "flush mount" light by a chain? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net