Discuss Hard earned lesson in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's definitely easy in hindsight saying what you should have done

I've done a lot of stupid stuff

But that voltstick comes out now and lights up on a live source first everytime, probably a lesson learned along the way
Some knock the voltstick they do have their uses I have one, however they should not be used to officially prove dead.

It is an occupational hazard receiving and electric shock to a spark and you should plan for it. Hence the use of thick rubber soles, being dry before working on an installation, and using fibre glass ladders. All of which I explain to trainees. I am not being cavalier about this it is just a fact of life it is not if it is when it will happen. Observing the above i.e. increasing resistance so that we become the biggest 10 million ohm resistor possible, reducing the risk when it does happen to the difference between fatal and a "belt" When working on three phase boards, not holding the door with one hand and the casing with another, things like that. Strategies that make a big difference in the event of shock.

As to screw ups...Fitted an Ariston water heater and boss said to liven it up. I said I can't until the plumbing was commissioned and water in the tubes. He insisted I do. Inevitable happened and the thermostat safety cut in and switched it off so when the plumber came it was not working. Cound not figure it out. Got Ariston in, he said someone put power in before it was commissioned water wise and the safety has set off. I owned up. He then said good for you most guys when I get on site lie about it. For that I won't charge the the ÂŁ180 service charge I will just say the thermostat was faulty and put a new one in. He gave me the old one which was fine. The reset button for your information is the tiny tiny white dot in the middle of the thermostat which I did not see. It was no bigger than a pin head.
EDIT sorry I know thats off topic. Wont do it again mister

I remember a good few years back I had to plaster a ceiling. I turned the CU off at the main switch to remove the light from the centre of the room.
Luckily I used one of them cheap light up screw drivers and was gobsmacked when it started to glow. Their was another CU in another part of the house which covered the lighting circuit I was at the top of a step ladder fiddling with.

is that T/E on a plug? if so it's a first alarm bell. DIY Dave or Bodgit the Builder has been to boldly go where no idiot has gone before.
no, 3c .75 flex. This was installed by an electrical company. The list of defects was staggering. It was clear from the way the wiring had been substantially altered (even though it didn't need to be) that they had no idea what they were doing. There were 2 groups, each with 4 circuits interlinked with one another. The control panel had been messed about with, it was clear they didn't understand how it worked, connector blocks added all over the place. Excessively high Zs readings as undersized conductors installed. The level of crapness was mindboggling, completely ruining the original install which had been installed to a very high standard. We are half way through putting it back to how it was originally. It was nice that the emergency lights were wired so their supplies were cut by a time clock at the end of each day, the batteries were being fully discharged at night, 365 days a year...

Hindsight is easy ,I've done some stupid stuff like hacksawing through live 3P swa

I don't quite remember when I first seen the non-contact testing , I think it was the dno at the meter location

Definitely an extra layer of security imo

Reply to Hard earned lesson in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net