Discuss Hardware error in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Cat

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Started some PAT testing yesterday, did about 6 items then i had "hardware error" message on the screen. Switched machine on and off several times but message kept coming up so abandoned testing.

The machine i have is a Metrel AlphaPat MI 2142. Had this same fault about 18 months ago and it cost me £300.00!

Anyone else had the same problems?

Edit:- Thought i would try machine again before posting to make sure of error message and its working now!!!!!!!!!!

Trouble is now do i start the PAT testing again? The place i am doing has about 400 items, if i get to 399 and it fails i could lose all the results and would have to start again after it was repaired!

Now i hate PAT testing at the best of times but to do it twice at the same place...............Does'n bear thinking about!

that's why, for the amount of pat i do, i stick to my old seasward 1500xi, steam powered but no computer garbage in it.

Started some PAT testing yesterday, did about 6 items then i had "hardware error" message on the screen. Switched machine on and off several times but message kept coming up so abandoned testing.

The machine i have is a Metrel AlphaPat MI 2142. Had this same fault about 18 months ago and it cost me £300.00!

Anyone else had the same problems?

Edit:- Thought i would try machine again before posting to make sure of error message and its working now!!!!!!!!!!

Trouble is now do i start the PAT testing again? The place i am doing has about 400 items, if i get to 399 and it fails i could lose all the results and would have to start again after it was repaired!

Now i hate PAT testing at the best of times but to do it twice at the same place...............Does'n bear thinking about!

At switch on the Metrel MI2142 AlphaPat runs an automatic hardware self-diagnostic routine, if this detects any hardware faults or out of specification errors the display shows a "Hardware Error" message. It would be wise not to use the tester, as it's accuracy is not assured. In most cases the message is triggered by an out of specification error, this would be confirmed by an as found calibration, allowing the calibration technician to adjust the hardware to bring the tester back within it's specification and then do the final calibration and certify the testers conformity. If a hardware fault is confirmed by the as found calibration, component changes may be required to achieve final calibration, these would be charged as an additional cost if you sanction the repair.

Yep I bought a KT71 because I knew I would have to do PAT testing but I new i would not be doing big jobs ie 40-100 items so I kept it simple but this is becoming a problem as the KT71 is software driven as well but thankfully does not have to be downloaded.

Reply to Hardware error in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net