Discuss hardwiring cooker straight into 45 amp isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

aaroncrisp1983

If I intall a 45 amp cooker isolator inside the kitchen cupboard can I come straight out of that and hhardwire into the cooker? So I dont have to install a cooker outletplate as there not.much room.behind.

As far as I know there is no regulation saying you absolutely must fit a cooker outlet. It is more of a convenience thing for should you need to change the cooker. What kind of cooker is it? Is it a unit that fits in the kitchen units with a seperate gas hob? If so you'll probably find it comes with a plug top. Chop the plug off and fit an unswitched fused spur. Doesn't take up much room

I wouldn't chop the plug off, manufacturers are tight as a submarines door! They'll do anything to void the warranty even for cutting the plug off!

If you've the space for an isolator switch in a cupboard, you've space for an outlet plate. Iso's exist for a reason, especially for domestic cookers. Whilst there's no specific regs that require you to have an OCPD > ISO > OUTLET arrangement, it's been done that way for decades for very sensible reasons. Namely, that if the darn thing catches fire you want to be able to turn it off straight away without having to spend five minutes ploughing through coats and vacuum cleaners to find the consumer unit under the stairs. Therefore, if you have an ISO, you also want a more convenient means of making a connection to it - hence a cooker outlet plate (which doesn't have to be fitted behind the space for the oven, it could be another cupboard away).

If I intall a 45 amp cooker isolator inside the kitchen cupboard can I come straight out of that and hhardwire into the cooker? So I dont have to install a cooker outletplate as there not.much room.behind.
yyes you can do it, but I would follow Rocks advice above this reply for the reasons he highlighted.

As far as I know there is no regulation saying you absolutely must fit a cooker outlet. It is more of a convenience thing for should you need to change the cooker. What kind of cooker is it? Is it a unit that fits in the kitchen units with a seperate gas hob? If so you'll probably find it comes with a plug top. Chop the plug off and fit an unswitched fused spur. Doesn't take up much room

I was going to hardwire the cooker into the isolator which will be in the cupboard and plug the hob into the isolator which has a socket on. I think this is ok.

it's OK, but the thing that has not as yet been mentioned is this:

when and if you want to change/service the cooker, that will mean isolating at the CU MCB in order to disconnect from the isolator,which is only single pole isolation, whereas if you had fitted a cooker outlet, all you need to do is isolate with the cooker isolator for safe isolation of both L and N.

I was going to hardwire the cooker into the isolator which will be in the cupboard and plug the hob into the isolator which has a socket on. I was not going to cut the plug of the hob. I was just going to make a hole for it.

I was going to hardwire the cooker into the isolator which will be in the cupboard and plug the hob into the isolator which has a socket on. I was not going to cut the plug of the hob. I was just going to make a hole for it.
yes we understand aron, however we have given you our advice mate and you will have to decide what to do, I think you have made your mind up anyhow by the look of your replies so we need not reply anymore with advice on this subject.

Im confused here. I thought it was a case of the cable comes out of the isolator and feeds straight into the cooker therefore bypassing the "elephants nose" as the OP felt there was not enough room. This to me seems ok not best practice but no regs stating otherwise. Now we have a hob being plugged into the socket alongside the 45amp dp switch. All seems like a bit unnecessary and untidy now rather than just fitting it all where required. Remember a job done right first time means you are not back at it three months down the line

i had myths in the wardrobe. a couple of mythballs sorted them out.

hardwiring cooker straight into 45 amp isolator download (1) - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to hardwiring cooker straight into 45 amp isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock