Discuss Hardwiring simple Ring doorbell still bit stumped on what exactly is required and where to get it in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Steered clear of wiring these up so far can't be arsed with them but customer got some other jobs wants done so said I'd do it. Not seen fuseboard yet but believe got option if spare 2 ways can purchase 24v transformer for that board or other option is mount transformer in enclosure with din rail and take supply from board to this and then just matter of wiring in bell wire to Ring. Few questions....believe it's the Ring pro 2 need to advise to purchase because this is hardwired type and have also seen on vids that some sort of power regulator is installed just before connecting 230v side into transformer, do these come with ring doorbell or where can i purchase these? From what I see online, the doorbell, transformer and power regulator are all purchased separately is there not just one pack that includes all this? Thanks

How to Connect Your Ring Video Doorbell 2 Directly to a Low Voltage Transformer (Without a Pre-existing Doorbell) - https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115003495766-How-to-Connect-Your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2-Directly-to-a-Low-Voltage-Transformer-Without-a-Pre-existing-Doorbell-

There is some useful information in the link and important things to get right when using Ring Video doorbells for them to work correctly.

I'll leave you to read and ponder and if necessary get back to me.

Be very careful to look up information for the exact type of Ring product as there are subtle but annoying differences and thence requirements to satisfy.

Also find out what door bell/chime/electronic sounder the client would like to be activated because some Ring products will not work with them - one has to buy a plug in sounder or rely on the phone or other wifi connected product eg: Google Home (I think - need to check).
[automerge]1599237097[/automerge]
Already I have lapsed - the Ring Pro series of products, if memory serves me well, does not have an internal battery to make it slimmer - whereas the Ring without the pro suffix has a battery - this matters a lot! My link was to none pro advice. So be careful.

Last edited:
How to Connect Your Ring Video Doorbell 2 Directly to a Low Voltage Transformer (Without a Pre-existing Doorbell) - https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115003495766-How-to-Connect-Your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2-Directly-to-a-Low-Voltage-Transformer-Without-a-Pre-existing-Doorbell-

There is some useful information in the link and important things to get right when using Ring Video doorbells for them to work correctly.

I'll leave you to read and ponder and if necessary get back to me.

Be very careful to look up information for the exact type of Ring product as there are subtle but annoying differences and thence requirements to satisfy.

Also find out what door bell/chime/electronic sounder the client would like to be activated because some Ring products will not work with them - one has to buy a plug in sounder or rely on the phone or other wifi connected product eg: Google Home (I think - need to check).

Thanks Marconi. I don't get what they are going on about soldering why would you need to solder anything. The transformer can sit in a mounted box and just need to connect in and away from this. So also need to purchase a compatible plug in sounder then failing this the only notification that get is thru the phone. They also speak of purchasing seperate resistor which is not included? Do they not just sell a bundle that has all this just seems like complete pain in arse

I've install one recently. It was Ring Pro - it had everything in the box - din rail transformer and plug in chime. If you don't have existing wires you can buy a power supply and plug in to nearby socket and run cable to doorbell

I've install one recently. It was Ring Pro - it had everything in the box - din rail transformer and plug in chime. If you don't have existing wires you can buy a power supply and plug in to nearby socket and run cable to doorbell
Top man Kropaske that's exactly what I'm looking for have you got the link that you bought it from please. Is this how you installed it? Just purchased an enclosure to mount it in like this at 5 mins 28
View: https://youtu.be/4TTeuWeZk7M
he also talks about connecting up 1 amp protection link. Did this come in the box? In all honesty I can't see how this is a massive issue if it isn't

On this install there was no old doorbell so we decided to use plug in power supply as socket was in perfect place for it. You can get ring one for 25 quid or one from amazon or ebay for tenner. It has to be minimum 16v. Ring supply power kit v2 in the box to bypass existing chime as most UK ones are rated at 8v. I did not use it on that install as there was no existing chime.

Not sure where they got it from but found this

On this install there was no old doorbell so we decided to use plug in power supply as socket was in perfect place for it. You can get ring one for 25 quid or one from amazon or ebay for tenner. It has to be minimum 16v. Ring supply power kit v2 in the box to bypass existing chime as most UK ones are rated at 8v. I did not use it on that install as there was no existing chime.

Not sure where they got it from but found this

Thanks mate very helpful. Don't think they have close enough socket for power adapter but could be useful in future. Will probably have to wire from transformer mounted in consumer unit or mount transformer in enclosure outside it

Am I missing a trick here? If you put a din rail mounted 16V transformer into an LV consumer unit and tail bell wire into it surely there's your band segregation shot to pieces. The only compliant way of doing this with a din rail tranny to my mind is the separate enclosure route. Unless you're going to wire your bell with T&E and keep the insulation rating of all your wiring the same, which doesn't seem like a smart idea.
Can't understand why everyone wants these damn things feeding all their household coming and goings back to bloody California anyways. It gets my goat that the neighbours' across the road are as likely to be filming my door as much as their own. People are being far too cavalier with their data IMO.

Reply to Hardwiring simple Ring doorbell still bit stumped on what exactly is required and where to get it in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock