Discuss Has anybody ever reported another approved contractor to the NICEIC? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JL_Electrical

I'm unhappy that I've lost out on a job recently because I priced to do the job correctly and another contractor has agreed to bodge it and scarper. The job is wire some roller shutter doors x 3 in an industrial unit. The board is an old bill rewireable board fed in what is at best 6mm SWA four core, which joints on to pyro and back to SWA over about a 50m run. There is no way you can ascertain ZS, condition of joints (inaccessible high level), volt drop etc. I was going to pull in a new dedicated sub main and have each shutter on it's own circuit. Also there the existing board is fed off another board with 3 rewireable fuses. I know people are short of work, but I hate cowboys. Also I now look like the expensive one to the customer so it puts me back down the list for trying to do things right.

Might well end up getting my head kicked in? Opinions. No doubt the NICEIC won't be interested anyway, they won't want to lose out on his ÂŁ500 to display their badge of honour now will they?

If you explained why he needed what he needed mate unfortunately you'll have to mark this one down as cowboys 1 good guys 0. You could try the NIC but my bet is you'll be flogging a dead horse

Well I know someone who grassed another contractor if you want to call it that. He wishes he had never have bothered. The NICEIC made his next assessment a misery. They don't like it when you do the dirty on a fellow member.
I do have one question. If he pays ÂŁ500 a year, then he must be a domestic installer right? It costs more to be an approved contractor. If this is the case they most definitely won't want to know since he isn't within their scope to work on commercial.

Voltimax, I am an approved contractor and it costs me about ÂŁ460 + VAT annually. It is a myth that approved status costs the earth. He is most definately an approved contractor. With regards to doing the "dirty" if the NICEIC were about promoting electrical safety, which sadly I believe not to be the case, then surely they would be happy that somebody were doing their job for them and for want of a better word 'policing' the industry.

Reply to Has anybody ever reported another approved contractor to the NICEIC? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net