Discuss Has anybody experienced the drop in quality and design of MK products in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

EddieB

-
Arms
Reaction score
I had the misfortune to replace my kitchen sockets and switch spurs the other day with all MK products it used to be back in the day that these were amongst the best to use good size terminations and robust screws for tightening up. These newer products ( I say new they may have been in production sometime now) have terminations and screws that I'm used to finding on cheaper products particularly the terminations on the switch spurs which I deemed undersized on the supply size for two 2.5 conductors and inadequate screw heads. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this

Yeah for the last 20 years!
Only the last 20 years probably nearer 40 years, in the 80's the NHS issued a HTM that banned the use of MK sockets in NHS premises because of the L - N shutter being changed to that twist one that didn't need an earth pin to insert a plug

Last edited:
Are they all not is a race to the bottom?

I guess more importantly for the OP (and others) is who makes the best 13A sockets these days?

(Generally I used the MK Logic Plus range, and was appalled by the budget ones they introduced that were utter crap)

I quite like the new lever action mode mk sockets
I agree they just need to come down by a couple of quid a point!
I was backstage at CEF the other day chatting to the account manager and they are only being purchased one or two at a time.
Sparks adding a socket or replacing a socket.

Larger jobs don’t have the budget for paying that much extra per point it soon stacks up!

I can't stand MK stuff it used to be quality but now it's just carp, at one point it was that CRABTREE or ASHLEY ROCK that was nearly all I fitted!
I like the click mode accessories, I use the Schneider Lisse range quite a bit too and had no issues with them either!
I've used some LAP gear recently that a customer had purchased and it didn't seem too bad considering how cheap it is.

Schneider Lisse is my "go to " white brand .Some might not like the profile and not ALL the lisse range profile match which is bizarre !
That is bizarre, I doubt I could use something like that.

Click Mode is my go to white brand, very seldom have any problems and the minigrid modules idea is so simple but so useful.

I reckon Legrand Synergy accessories are head and shoulders above most, but not many wholesalers stock them and, consequently, they tend to be a little too expensive.

Reply to Has anybody experienced the drop in quality and design of MK products in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net