Discuss Has anyone seen a service head like this before? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello guys
Just finished an installation for a client and got to the testing and cert phase and thought id check the primary device.
i found an old rewire able fuse holder with what looks to be a copper cable installed as opposed to fuse wire.
Can i get some fuse wire to protect 25mm cable sufficiently as i only have the usual 3036 30a-6a wire?

Has anyone seen a service head like this before? image1.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

The "fuse" is NOT something you should be altering or changing.....

What rating is the service head fuse wire?

Why do you need 25mm tails?

The head currently has a copper 2.5 cable and no fuse wire.
I have only installed a new circuit on a DB which has 25mm tails.
I have a habit of checking the service head if the tags have been cut when doing an install cert.
I was hoping to get some 60a fuse wire but your correct I should just tell client to speak to DNO.
On that subject is as simple as client contacting her service provider?

Generally the DNOs won't remove those old fuse carriers live due to the number of accidents which have occurred, and you're doing it with no special training or protection, are you mad or suicidal?

Hello dave
You may have the wrong idea, i was simply talking about the possibility of changing the copper wire you can see to a 60a equivalent fuse wire.
However the advice of overyone has been greatly received and I will get client to get the DNO to change the service head as opposed to me changing the fuse wire. (Which I should not Ben touching anyway)
And yes if I were to even think about changing the service head I would be daft which I would never even dream of even if I were to be paid a million squid

I agree. You need to get the DNO (probably UKPN if u in london) to come and look at that. Tell them its as old as the hills and falling apart.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Taylor

Would mentioning the fuse wire being copper to the DNO be a bad idea as the DNO may come after me for pulling the fuse and just say like you said the service head is ancient?

Just say its really old and looks dangerous. Can they come and check it please.[/QUOTE]

Good shout I am emailing clinet not to make this priority, side point is that we have a 2.5mm copper cable supplying the entire house which must have been like this for some time bloody hell!!!

Just say its really old and looks dangerous. Can they come and check it please.

Good shout I am emailing clinet not to make this priority, side point is that we have a 2.5mm copper cable supplying the entire house which must have been like this for some time bloody hell!!![/QUOTE]
2.5mm bare copper wire is roughly round about, in the same ballpark, approximately, equivalent to a 100A fuse wire, so what's the problem? :mad:

Hello dave
You may have the wrong idea, i was simply talking about the possibility of changing the copper wire you can see to a 60a equivalent fuse wire.
However the advice of overyone has been greatly received and I will get client to get the DNO to change the service head as opposed to me changing the fuse wire. (Which I should not Ben touching anyway)
And yes if I were to even think about changing the service head I would be daft which I would never even dream of even if I were to be paid a million squid

I don't think I do have the wrong idea, most DNOs won't allow their guys to pull the fuse out live due to them being too fragile and too great a risk of arcflash. Pulling the fuse out is exactly what you have done.

Haha cock sorry the not is a typo

I really meant to say make it a priority, long sorry short uk power networks are coming out asap

I don't think I do have the wrong idea, most DNOs won't allow their guys to pull the fuse out live due to them being too fragile and too great a risk of arcflash.

You have a really good point and yes thinking about it the head was quite old and if anything happened the only fuse protecting the head would have been at the sub satation

Good shout I am emailing clinet not to make this priority, side point is that we have a 2.5mm copper cable supplying the entire house which must have been like this for some time bloody hell!!!
2.5mm bare copper wire is roughly round about, in the same ballpark, approximately, equivalent to a 100A fuse wire, so what's the problem? :mad:[/QUOTE]

Sorry (not) was a rather bad typo, we contacted the supply authority asap and they are coming out tomorrow, long story short I have learnt I should not the check the service head but at the same time I am glad I did because this client is a friend and that was really dangerous.

Reply to Has anyone seen a service head like this before? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock