Discuss Has anyone used this socket tester? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Toolstation have this socket tester for sale TIS Socket Tester With Loop & RCD Check - https://www.toolstation.com/tis-socket-tester-with-loop-rcd-check/p51520

It says it checks if loop impedance and RCD are 'OK'. Has anyone used this plug in tester? Does anyone know what it actually checks with regards loop impedance and RCD's? 'OK' doesn't mean a great deal!

Cheers :)
Fell into the same trap Mate saw the advert, thought that'll be handy for my Lads, so bought some big, mistake on my part.

After contacting the maker I was told, wait for it , they only tell yo that the ELI will be in the area of what the tester indicates, and RCD tests only proves that it's tripping, wont tell you any trip times etc, got a refund for the.

Wont tell which wholesaler I got them from, in fairness it wasn't their fault was it?

OK as a general guide, but much cheaper ones available. mine also reads the voltage (on LCD display).

Cheers guys, I think I'll give it a miss. I have a basic plug in tester that is useful just to see if the socket is live but when it comes to RCD's and loop tests I'll stick with the MFT.

same with everything. like with voltsticks. useful tools when one knows their limitations.

Toolstation have this socket tester for sale TIS Socket Tester With Loop & RCD Check - https://www.toolstation.com/tis-socket-tester-with-loop-rcd-check/p51520

It says it checks if loop impedance and RCD are 'OK'. Has anyone used this plug in tester? Does anyone know what it actually checks with regards loop impedance and RCD's? 'OK' doesn't mean a great deal!

Cheers :)

I have the Kewtech version somewhere, I got it for free when the Kewtech rep was in my local wholesaler and I gave him so much stick about the problems I had with my Kewtech MFT, in front of the MD of the wholesaler, that he started giving me stuff for free to shut me up.

It stopped working properly after a while and now shows a fault, I think its reverse polarity, every time its plugged in regardless of whether the wirkng is correct or not. I keep it as a way to teach apprentices the importance of verifying your test equipment before trusting the results.

I have also witnessed what happens if someone tries the RCD test on a non RCD protected circuit, as you hold the test button the test current continues to flow and the unit gets hotter, and hotter and hotter. I probably shouldn't have laughed at the muppet who did that, but with more experience than me he really should have know better.

TIS stands for This Is $hit.
Hate all there stuff.
Had the Kline version of this, the RCD tripper was only really useful when testing schools and the circuits were somewhere unexpected (That’s if the buggers had RCD protection)

TIS stands for This Is $hit.
Hate all there stuff.
Had the Kline version of this, the RCD tripper was only really useful when testing schools and the circuits were somewhere unexpected (That’s if the buggers had RCD protection)

A couple of years back, I remember David Savery buying their top of the range MFT. It did seem to have a decent spec for the money and he was quite fond of it, but I notice that he's been using a Metrel unit of late.

It should also be remembered that back then he was very fond of Ryobi power tools :D

I got one and it was nowhere near that price, I simply use it as a quick polarity test to save me the hassle of lugging the MFT to every point.

My own personal opinion from experience is I'm not a fan of this manufacturer, I think there prices are highly inflated for the quality of product you get, I have returned testers of theirs in the past because of misleading wording, at the prices I paid i expected some good quality electronics and I do need that quality for my line of work.

Reply to Has anyone used this socket tester? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock