Discuss Has my dishwasher been ruined? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
The heat pump on my Bosch dishwasher needed replacing (it was tripping the electrics) so I called out the repairer under an extended warranty. He said the machine was jammed too tightly into a space and a cupboard at the side would need dismantling to access it, which he would not do. This might well be right - it was a very tight fit when installed. He said to get someone to dismantle the side cupboard but not to pull at the dishwasher door as that could damage it.

So, I got a local handyman in, explained the situation and left him to get on with it. When I came downstairs again the side cupboard had not been touched, the dishwasher had been removed and the door was off its hinges with the dozen or so thin coloured wires cut. He said the cupboard was built in so couldn't be moved and he had taken the door off so he could leverage the machine out of its space, that a couple of wires had torn so he cut the rest. He insisted they could be reconnected using wire connectors.

Dishwasher repair man comes back a few days later. He says they are low voltage wires which cannot be reconnected so the machine is now dead and cannot be used again. He said the wires are housed inside the machine and the fact that they were several inches outside probably means the door was pulled. He takes a few photos, says sorry and leaves.

I email handyman who replies "You can reattach the wires, I know you can with connectors as i have done it before, he obviously did not want too, the same as he did not want to pull dishwasher out in first place. Unfortunately you cant just take the side panel out, because the housing is a whole unit, the dishwasher needs to come out first so the housing can be removed as a complete unit, dishwashers are always pulled from the front out, i have probably removed over 20 over the years with not one problem, the hinge gave way and that tells me the hinge was damaged/faulty inside, did he look at the damaged door hinge and why it was so loose? He obviously did not want to do the added work..."

Who is telling me the truth, please?

Sounds like the dishwasher engineer was correct.
He said that it couldn’t be pulled out by the door as it would break.

Handyman pulled it by the door and it did indeed break.

Jointing the cables is not a good idea, especially as the engineer recommends against it.

so now you have no dish washer ,and no Andy man &no appliance engineer what are you going to do ,me get repaired by some body else ,send the bill the Mr diyer ,job done.
over the last month or so we had a couple of dishwasher story's.

Any claim for damages has got to go to the handyman
You asked him to take cupboard apart to facilitate removal of dishwasher, he instead just yanked dishwasher so hard the door broke off.

The heat pump on my Bosch dishwasher needed replacing (it was tripping the electrics) so I called out the repairer under an extended warranty. He said the machine was jammed too tightly into a space and a cupboard at the side would need dismantling to access it, which he would not do. This might well be right - it was a very tight fit when installed. He said to get someone to dismantle the side cupboard but not to pull at the dishwasher door as that could damage it.

So, I got a local handyman in, explained the situation and left him to get on with it. When I came downstairs again the side cupboard had not been touched, the dishwasher had been removed and the door was off its hinges with the dozen or so thin coloured wires cut. He said the cupboard was built in so couldn't be moved and he had taken the door off so he could leverage the machine out of its space, that a couple of wires had torn so he cut the rest. He insisted they could be reconnected using wire connectors.

Dishwasher repair man comes back a few days later. He says they are low voltage wires which cannot be reconnected so the machine is now dead and cannot be used again. He said the wires are housed inside the machine and the fact that they were several inches outside probably means the door was pulled. He takes a few photos, says sorry and leaves.

I email handyman who replies "You can reattach the wires, I know you can with connectors as i have done it before, he obviously did not want too, the same as he did not want to pull dishwasher out in first place. Unfortunately you cant just take the side panel out, because the housing is a whole unit, the dishwasher needs to come out first so the housing can be removed as a complete unit, dishwashers are always pulled from the front out, i have probably removed over 20 over the years with not one problem, the hinge gave way and that tells me the hinge was damaged/faulty inside, did he look at the damaged door hinge and why it was so loose? He obviously did not want to do the added work..."

Who is telling me the truth, please?
Ask the 'handy' man for his insurance details, tell him you'll be making a claim. It will then be up to his insurers to justify why they shouldn't have to pay out, and if he failed to adhere to a manufacturer's engineer's advice then they stand no chance.

They may ask how the original diagnosis was carried out. Was there another party involved?

Joining the wires in that position would be a bad idea as they will be flexing every time the door is opened and will surely fail. A new door wiring loom will be needed.

IMHO... you have two choices...

1) Spend the next 5-10 years pursuing some sort of legal remedy through the courts.
2) Put it down to experience and move on.

I'd go with option 2, but would still be inclined to ask for details of his insurer as a means of putting the wind up him and, hopefully, making him think twice about future 'work'.

Hi - the door can be removed, but only after disconnecting the wiring loom, which is a bit of a job. No one cuts the loom off and and joins it up afterwards. Sorry, I mean no one I knew of till now.

Sorry to say it, but I think the DW is for the recycle as it’s now got 2 significant faults - the original heat pump tripping and a damaged wiring loom.

Whilst the broken machine is out.

I suggest that you measure the internal space, compare this with the recommended space required for new washer.
If it needs to be made bigger, now is the time.

The choice of tradesman for altering the cupboard is up to you but I think you might have already started a list of people not to use again!!

P.s. it is perfectly acceptable to ask someone over the phone before they come wether they are insured to undertake the work.

Technically, the wiring loom can probably be repaired by someone good with a soldering iron, but what you will then have is a non-Bosch-authorised modification, which is why Bosch guy won't do that. The loom could probably be replaced instead, but he probably doesn't want to do that either as he will be suspicious that the machine casing and door might be distorted too. By getting involved he could end up with a nightmare repair that costs nearly as much as a new machine, but ends with the customer calling back to complain it leaks and getting him back endlessly with the machine never being satisfactory. I'm sure he's thinking what I'm thinking and doesn't want the risk.

Thanks all - no-one here is defending the handyman... so nether will I!

Checking the Companies House website he is not registered, and his bank account (which I paid) is in his personal name. My guess is that he has no insurance. Also, unfortunately he is not on Checkatrade so I cannot threaten a bad review. So other than a small claims threat what are my options? (I have no problem with a small claim - it would take less than an hour and would put the wind up him).

Your question may be - what do I want? For a £569 dishwasher which, used about three times a week, would last about ten years, I would want half the value (£280) plus a refund of what I paid him. Is that fair?

Checking the Companies House website he is not registered, and his bank account (which I paid) is in his personal name. My guess is that he has no insurance. Also, unfortunately he is not on Checkatrade so I cannot threaten a bad review. So other than a small claims threat what are my options? (I have no problem with a small claim - it would take less than an hour and would put the wind up him).
so now you have start digging for information ,so where did you get him from ,and how do you
know if he got none insurance ,before you start saying this, you need to find out ,he could say
for argument sake you gave him the authority to get the appliance out .

Reply to Has my dishwasher been ruined? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock