Discuss Has my installation been wired correctly? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I had solar pv panels installed on an annexe to our main house with the idea that it could feed the main house. The consumer unit to the annexe (house 2) connects underground to a meter in house 1 where house 1 has its own meter and its own consumer unit.
I have no electrical skills but have drawn the attached to represent the wiring setup as the installers set it up and am concerned that I might be paying for electricity to the annexe twice outside daylight hours as it seems to go through both meters.
Is my understanding correct?

Attachments

• 67C5B9C9-D429-4733-B7B5-914542050AC3.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 59
As you have drawn it meter 2 is in series with meter 1, so yes meter 1 will record the usage of both houses and meter 2 only record the usage of house 2.

Are these 2 meters both owned and operated by an electricity supply company so that you have two MPANs and two seperate electricity bills?
Or is meter 2 a privately owned meter which belongs to you to allow you to charge house 2 for their correct share of a single electricity bill?

As you have drawn it meter 2 is in series with meter 1, so yes meter 1 will record the usage of both houses and meter 2 only record the usage of house 2.

Are these 2 meters both owned and operated by an electricity supply company so that you have two MPANs and two seperate electricity bills?
Or is meter 2 a privately owned meter which belongs to you to allow you to charge house 2 for their correct share of a single electricity bill?

Hi Dave
Many thx for your reply and sorry I missed it and took so long to respond. In answer to your questions, these are 2 separate meters and 2 separate accounts with Eon, hence my concern.

i am not sure if there is a correct way to configure this as i am using the connection to house 2 to both supply electricity and to collect return electricity generated by the solar panels but still wish to use the electricity as it aged by house 2 in house 1 as we have a solar iboost to warm the water cylinder when there is electricity being generated. When the solar installers installed the panels they assured me that using the same connection to house 2 for both would work. I guess they are right, but with the side effect that, when nothing’s being generated, the electricity to house 2 is being registered twice!

Do you have any thoughts about how to resolve it?

Peter

Hi Dave
Many thx for your reply and sorry I missed it and took so long to respond. In answer to your questions, these are 2 separate meters and 2 separate accounts with Eon, hence my concern.

In that case you need to get in contact with Eon and get them to come out and fix the problem, you will be paying for the same electricity twice, and having the solar go through two meters is almost certainly not allowed.

Having the power you generate recorded on two seperate meters, with two seperate accounts will, if you have done it deliberately, be viewed as fraud.

Thx Dave.

there is only 1 FIT account (separate to the 2 supply accounts) so there should be no issue with fraud.

I think the whole setup works ok except for the double billing when there is no generation which I can’t see any solution for

thx
Pete

Thx Dave.

there is only 1 FIT account (separate to the 2 supply accounts) so there should be no issue with fraud.

I think the whole setup works ok except for the double billing when there is no generation which I can’t see any solution for

thx
Pete

You still need to contact Eon to get this sorted out, the setup is incorrect and probably not legal as the same electricity usage is being recorded and billed twice.

Reply to Has my installation been wired correctly? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net