Discuss has my landlord got dodgy electrical wires in our home in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

becky4

hiya all im gunna waffle on for abit then ask you what you all think....

okay so we have a new microwave and washing machine (couple of months old) both get plugged in in the kitchen in the only plug socket in there, sometimes there fine but most of the time when they are on they trip all the plug sockets out and then we can used them for about a week or so then it's okay.

today when my partner got home from work the whole house had tripped including the lights the only thing left on in the house when i went out today was the fridge freezer?

we have had our landlord come out and have a look he changed the plug socket front on the one in the kitchen (i noticed the earth wire inside the socket had no rubber cover on it is this normal? for a plug socket he said it was)

i feel like theres not much we can do as we can't prove anythinks happening cuz every time he comes round it works fine is there anythink i can do to prove or check the sockets are dodgy?

thanks guys.

A full PIR would be the route to go down, but it'll cost and at the end you still may not know the cause, so beware.

If your rented accomodation is tripping and it sounds like got a single RCD protecting the whole set up its going to be a pain in the proverbial.

How helpful is your landlord and does he like spending money?

Re the socket earth cable (or cpc) as we call it, yes they should always be sleeved, but if the accomodation is old they wouldn't have necessarily done it that way when it was wired!

Hope this helps!

Where are you? There might be a generous member who when passing might give you some advice. All conductors should be sleeved at least once by the way

Last edited:
A full PIR would be the route to go down, but it'll cost and at the end you still may not know the cause, so beware.

If your rented accomodation is tripping and it sounds like got a single RCD protecting the whole set up its going to be a pain in the proverbial.

How helpful is your landlord and does he like spending money?

Re the socket earth cable (or cpc) as we call it, yes they should always be sleeved, but if the accomodation is old they wouldn't have necessarily done it that way when it was wired!

Hope this helps!

thanks my moms boyfriend has got a thing you plug in to the socket and it tells you whats wrong with it or if it's working do you think thiscould get too the route of the problem or more likely the circit?

and does he heck he's a cheap ******* i wouldnt be suprised if it was one of his mates that checked the electrics and signed it off as okay.

I'd ask to see a copy of the landlords cert or PIR . if he can produce one and thats a big if phone the issuing contractor tell your problems and that your considering calling in another contractor - wait for the response

I'd ask to see a copy of the landlords cert or PIR . if he can produce one and thats a big if phone the issuing contractor tell your problems and that your considering calling in another contractor - wait for the response

he has gave us a copy "erm i think its a three yearly one i didnt even know you could get them i thought it had to be checked every year. but he's got one so again not much can be said.

the socket tester you say your mum's boyfriend has got will tell you if the socket is wired up correctly, up to a point.... it's not a device you can rely on 100%, just a rough guide. to be honest, you need to either get your landlord to bring a qualified sparks in, or get one yourself to test the installation for you. whether or not you can recover the cost from the landlord is another matter. your landlord has a duty of care to provide you with a safe home, gas, electric , etc.

Yep i agree i think i will get that plug thing and test any way and tell the landlord if he dont get the electrics looked at he isnt getting his rent this month. thanks

Try plugging in only one appliance at a time to see if it's related to that. I'd try the washing machine first. At least the protective devices are operating. Annoying but safe(ish)

Lifted from landlordzone.co.uk

Apart from the Landlord's Common Law duty of care, the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 (and several other statutory regulations see below) requires that the electrical equipment is safe at the start of every tenancy and maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy.
Electrical hazards are also covered by the Housing Health and safety Rating System under the Housing Act 2004.
In the case of commercial property and houses in multiple occupation there is a statutory duty under the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order 2005 for the responsible person (the property manager) to carry out annual Fire Safety Risk Assessments, which include electrical safety risks.
If you let property you must ensure that the electrical system and all appliances supplied are safe - failure to comply with the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and the The Consumer Protection Act 1987 is a criminal offence and may result in:

• A fine of £5,000 per item not complying
  • Six month's imprisonment
  • Possible manslaughter charges in the even of deaths
  • The Tenant may also sue you for civil damages
  • Your property insurance may be invalidated
These regulations are enforced by the Health & Safety Executive.

There is some more info on Guidance for landlords : Electrical Safety Council

It might help you if you can quote the respective laws to your landlord to remind them of their responsibilities

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry i dont know anythink about electrics what does this mean?
Becky, this means consult an Electrician. Why don't you post on this thread where you live? because the chances are one of us will live/work within spitting distance of you. Thereby you can be reassured that you will get someone decent - and if they are not, then you are at liberty to inform the rest of us!
You've got nothing to loose have you? Any spark will offer you a free quote. Worth a try don't you think?

Reply to has my landlord got dodgy electrical wires in our home in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock