• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Has this consumer unit been installed correctly? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

danny199

Active EF Member
Hello,

Had a sparky install a new consumer unit, has it been done correctly. Bare in mind the chap cut corners on other bits of work he was contracted to do.

consumer unit.jpg

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
That is a seriously rough job. The connections of those conductors is dire.

westward10

Staff member
The person that fitted yours is totally unskilled. Have you been given Certification.

Cid

Regular EF Member
How much did you pay for this service? Quite often this is the result of the customer cutting costs. You get what you pay for.

danny199

Active EF Member
No, and originally he was going to come back and do some more stuff. I contacted him and he said he will sort certificate etc when he comes back. I don't think I want him back.

I didn't think that the copper wires should be showing like that.

How much will it cost to fix this to you think?

Taylortwocities

Electrician's Arms
The work done needs to be certified as being compliant with the relevant standards. The work also must be notified to the local authority. This should be done by the person doing the work.

Reactions: DPG

westward10

Staff member
No, and originally he was going to come back and do some more stuff. I contacted him and he said he will sort certificate etc when he comes back. I don't think I want him back.

I didn't think that the copper wires should be showing like that.

How much will it cost to fix this to you think?
I could rip all that out and reinstall in a couple of hours. Then it requires a full test so 3 to 5 hours.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
This cheapo customer paid £500 for a new consumer unit, 3 new plug sockets and moving two ceiling lights.
that is about the right sort of price to have the job done properly, not like that. might be worthwhile contacting Trading Standards.

also see if he's registered with niceic or one of the other schemes. if so, report him to them.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.