Discuss Have C & G's qualifications...what next...Advice needed please! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wacman

Hi all, great forum by the way. I'll try not to make this post too long. here goes....Having worked in the same unskilled job for 10+ years, I went back to night school in 2005 to gain my C&G 2330 Level 2 & 3, plus 16th ed regs qualification. Having finished the courses soon realised I was no closer to my aim of becoming a self employed sparkie.

I tried writing to companies asking for apprenticeships or experience but had no luck. I also got down to the last few candidates for some trainee electrcian jobs, but again no luck. Was told I needed to be earning the company money from day one.

I realised that perhaps I would need to do short term agency work as an electricians mate. The thing is I have commitments that require me to keep my current job whilst I try and establish a new career. Plus most of the mates jobs were commercial and not domestic, which is what i want to do.

Anyway, I gave up on the idea of becoming a sparkie....that is until a recent house move...the electrics need updating, new consumer unit, lights re-wire, garage electrics sorting out. I'm finding it frustrating that i'm not qualified to do any of this myself. Getting the electricians round and also investigating the circuits my self has really sparked (sorry) my enthusiasum again. suddenly the things I learnt at college are starting to make sense, its great seeing things in a real house and not on a 2ft x 2ft board.

So my question is, can I become a safe, fully qualified electrician without working for a company?
I want to keep my current job and do jobs on my days off / afternoons whilst i try to establish myself.

is it worth me doing test & inspection? I've been told i would fail this course if i'm not employed in the industry.

would a sparkie give me 1 day a week experience on my day off? would this be enough?

I really need some advice on where to go next regarding qualifications and experience.

Thanks for reading.

I would like to do these courses, especially the test & Inspection. As for the design & installation of circuits, I think i would struggle at the moment. I really need to be able to observe an electrician over a number of months / years to pick up the tricks of the trade and how to use the regs book and on-site guide for designing safe circuits.

I do wonder whether I'll be able to find someone who will be able to give me this experience. Would I be more of a hinderance than a help?

Anyone got any tips for getting experience?

Very difficult to gain experience even if working for free, most sparks/ firms require guys to know what to do otherwise youre just a hindrence im afraid.
Standard Domestic circuits are straightforward and osg gives you the info you need on whats allowed/not etc..
Start small with basic stuff and slowly build up asking for help/ advice as you go.

Reply to Have C & G's qualifications...what next...Advice needed please! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net