Discuss Have you bought the new regs (green) book yet? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Saw NIC offer is only on until today for £80 incl VAT (sure this was £60 recently!). Has anyone bought it yet, and will we really need it before our next assessments? Can't see me bothering - all the important bits are the same.

Nope..... Was trying to get some buying power from the forum..... I've had very little success.. The bookshops we do work for just haven't got the buying power and no one else seem interested!

Not surprising really at the cost - the money you throw away in this game is getting more and more. I guess the big companies will buy it because they have to and the rest of us will just put it off until the 18th!

I got a copy ordered, nothing arrived yet though. I think the wife has intercepted Mr postie tbh.
I work at three colleges, so I will 'obtain' a copy from one of them at least as well. That'll be my doodling copy.

Still £60 inc. delivery (pre-order) from Elecsa, free screwdriver included too.
Not sure, but think you have to be an Elecsa member to get it.
Alan.

have just looked on amazon and its £64 free delivery, however yesterday it was at £60. i ordered mine from the iet. it was priced at £80 but i t wouldn't let me order as i was not a member. so i spent 15 min to become a member and was charged £60 for the book, not bad going i thought, saves me £20 free delivery too.

i got mine for £60 too.
I feel sorry for some of you more experienced members. since i started in the trade, weve had the 16th, 17th and now the amendment.

some of you fellas must have ssen the 13th maybe?

i got mine for £60 too.
I feel sorry for some of you more experienced members. since i started in the trade, weve had the 16th, 17th and now the amendment.

some of you fellas must have ssen the 13th maybe?

Some of the old dinosaurs in here will have seen the first.....not me though:smile5:

Cheers.........Howard

Guys ....n Girls I just dont get this at all your actually being forced into spending all this money on these ammendments The rules are made up and approved by who? I presume in the burocratic UK its a government office ?
So if these rules are to enable you to carry out your work in a way that they require you to do so they should surely be available Free as I said before in another post the regs here are freely available from the ministry of science and technology. It seems like another tax, but you seem happy to pay it I just cant get my head round this at all, Maybe one of the academic members can explain it to me. Cant you carry copies ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered from IET - full member price £52 inc delivery to UK. Agree with Mayfair, as a mandatory requirement, like other forms of mandatory requirements (e.g. law, H&S etc), it should be downloadable free of charge, or available in printed form at cost. But, that would mean overturning the money winning venture that the UK government is currently very proud of - the British Standards Institute (remember this is BS7671, not IET7671 - IET "only" provides the intellectual management and input). BSI has no real accountability to the state as it is a private organisation, it is independent and therefore runs as it wishes, and any left over cash (and there's lots of it) is poured back into the business as it is a non profit organisation. The government sees it as a major feather in the cap of UK plc (superbrand etc) so that won't be changing in the short term. (ps I know this because I was shortlisted for interview, which I didn't get, and did a lot of research in prep). Of course the right thing to do would be make the BSI subordinate to the IET, give it a proper governance structure and cut out loads of senior managers they've got all over the shop. But in the meantime, get your cheque books out folks!

I agree mayfair i was quite happy to paint my red one green i cant belive they are changing so much in such a short period of time fail my next assesment if i dont have the new copy so for me as soon as i get it i will be working to amendment 1 , we got a 6 month change over period but why wait other wise it will be like doing all your xmas shopping on xmas eve when youve had months to do it

I agree mayfair i was quite happy to paint my red one green i cant belive they are changing so much in such a short period of time fail my next assesment if i dont have the new copy so for me as soon as i get it i will be working to amendment 1 , we got a 6 month change over period but why wait other wise it will be like doing all your xmas shopping on xmas eve when youve had months to do it

Hi Nick, I know it's probably just the way you've worded it but there is no changeover period and BS7671:2011 isn't worth the paper it's written on until 01/01/2012.

Even then, any projects designed prior to that date can still be installed to BS7671:2008.

Reply to Have you bought the new regs (green) book yet? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net